Alvaro Retana's No Objection on draft-ietf-6man-icmp-limits-07: (with COMMENT)

Alvaro Retana via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Mon, 09 March 2020 15:32 UTC

From: Alvaro Retana via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-6man-icmp-limits@ietf.org, 6man-chairs@ietf.org, ipv6@ietf.org, Bob Hinden <bob.hinden@gmail.com>
Subject: Alvaro Retana's No Objection on draft-ietf-6man-icmp-limits-07: (with COMMENT)
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2020 08:32:19 -0700

Alvaro Retana has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-6man-icmp-limits-07: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-icmp-limits/

COMMENT:

(1) There are a couple of normative statements that left me wanting more
details.  For the cases below, I have these questions (to start with):  Are
there more details on how this is done?  Are the actions implementation
dependent?  Should these sentences even use rfc2119 keywords?  How can they be
normatively enforced?

   - §4.2: "The packet in the ICMP data SHOULD be validated to match the upper
   layer process or connection that generated the original packet."  What if
   the validation fails?

   - §4.2: "A host MAY modify its usage of protocol headers in subsequent
   packets to avoid repeated occurrences of the same error."

   - §4.2: "A host system SHOULD take appropriate action if it is creating
   packets with extension headers on behalf of the application."  What is an
   "appropriate action"?

(2) §4.2: "An error SHOULD be reported to an application if the application
enabled extension headers for its traffic."

What is an application in the context of this document?  I ask because
traditional applications (email, video) are probably not aware of the use (or
not) of extensions headers in their traffic -- but others (segment routing, for
example) probably are.

(3) §5.1: "...this specification RECOMMENDS the sending of ICMP errors even in
cases where a node might be discarding packets per a nonconformant behavior."
Recommending conformance when nonconformant behavior already exists sounds a
little naïve to me.  It seems to me that using a lower case "RECOMMENDS" (BTW,
the actual keyword is "RECOMMENDED".) would achieve the same thing.

(4) §6: "The ICMP errors described in this document MAY be filtered by
firewalls in accordance with [RFC4890]."  s/MAY/may  In this case the text is
just making a statement of fact.

(5) Consider moving §5 closer to the beginning of the document.  Maybe it makes
more sense there.