Re:BIER in IPv6 --- draft-zhang-bier-bierin6-04

zhang.zheng@zte.com.cn Sat, 21 March 2020 05:43 UTC

Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2020 13:43:07 +0800
From: zhang.zheng@zte.com.cn
To: 6man@ietf.org
Subject: Re:BIER in IPv6 --- draft-zhang-bier-bierin6-04

Hi,

As co-author of BIERin6 (draft-zhang-bier-bierin6-04), before you read the draft, please let me introduce BIER technology to you at first:

BIER technology, as defined in RFC8279, it's a new multicast technology. The principle is achieving multicast forwarding by hop-by-hop execution.

BIER is a transport protocol, not just a function. As defined in RFC8296, BIER has it's own ethernet encapsulation with ethernet type 0xAB37, and also it can be travelled by MPLS encapsulation.

BIER has it's own OAM function, ECMP function and traceability. etc. through BIER header defined in RFC8296.

For travelling through IPv6 only enviroment, we'd like to travel BIER packet by IPv6 encapsulation.

In draft-zhang-bier-bierin6-04, we want to just use a new Next Header type for BIER header carrying.

We want to bring the minimum impact on IPv6 existed execution, and the maximum flexibility for header interoperability.

So if you have any question about draft-zhang-bier-bierin6-04, or about BIER technology itself, please tell me. I'am glad to explain them to you.

Thanks,

Sandy

原始邮件