Adam Roach's Discuss on draft-ietf-6man-maxra-03: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> Tue, 24 October 2017 23:03 UTC

From: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-6man-maxra@ietf.org, otroan@employees.org, bob.hinden@gmail.com, 6man-chairs@ietf.org, bob.hinden@gmail.com, ipv6@ietf.org
Subject: Adam Roach's Discuss on draft-ietf-6man-maxra-03: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 16:03:06 -0700

Adam Roach has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-6man-maxra-03: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-maxra/

DISCUSS:

I'm concerned that this normative statement is ambiguous (2nd paragraph of
section 4), and that the ambiguity around allowed values may lead to interop
issues:

   AdvDefaultLifetime
   MUST either be zero (the router is not to be used as a default
   router) or be a value between MaxRtrAdvInterval and 65535.

>From the text in section 3, I infer that MaxRtrAdvInterval is *not* an allowed
value.

>From the "no greater than 65535" language, I infer that 65535 *is* an allowed
value.

Please ensure that your normative statement here is very clear about whether
"between" is intended to include its high and low limits as acceptable values.

COMMENT:

Section 4 contains:

   As explained in Section 3, the relationship between MaxRtrAdvInterval
   and AdvDefaultLifetime must be chosen to take into account the
   probability of packet loss.

The use of a non-normative "must" here indicates that you probably want to
update your RFC2119 boilerplate to be RFC8174 boilerplate.