Re: Options for draft-ietf-6man-uri-zoneid

t.petch <ietfc@btconnect.com> Fri, 04 May 2012 08:50 UTC

From: "t.petch" <ietfc@btconnect.com>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, 6man <ipv6@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: Options for draft-ietf-6man-uri-zoneid
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 09:47:58 +0200

Brian

To me, Option 3 is the clear, right way to go.

Percent escaping is the purist answer, fine for URI experts who deal with
percent escaping all the time.  Most of the world is completely comfortable with
URIs as long as they look like
www.example.com/user/sample.html
Some get confused even by the addition of http: and most would be completely
thrown by the appearance of a percent sign (even if they are always appearing on
the Internet Explorer address bar, which most people either do not look at or
have turned off).

I believe that the audience for this feature is widespread, not just limited to
URI experts.  IPv6 is horribly complicated, it will often go wrong, so I see
help desks asking users to key this in as a common use case.  In which case, you
need a simple to locate on the keyboard, simple to refer to in 'English',
character to separate the two fields.  %25 is not it.

Anything else would do but I think that underscore is the worst choice, because
it vanishes.
http://[fe80::a_en1
on my Microsoft MUA displays, underlined in blue, as
f e 8 0 : : a [space] e n 1
so that is what I know it is; except of course I am a URI expert so I know that
if it were really a space, the e n 1 would not be underlined in blue so there is
a invisible underline there!

tilde is nice, but too hard to find on the keyboard, so, of unreserved, that
leaves period or hyphen; I would go for hyphen.