RE: [v6ops] Combining IPv6 ND and DHCPv6 into a single, unified function

"Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com> Wed, 22 November 2017 15:25 UTC

From: "Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>
To: Mark Smith <markzzzsmith@gmail.com>, Sander Steffann <sander@steffann.nl>
CC: "dhcwg@ietf.org" <dhcwg@ietf.org>, "v6ops@ietf.org" <v6ops@ietf.org>, "6man@ietf.org" <6man@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: [v6ops] Combining IPv6 ND and DHCPv6 into a single, unified function
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 15:25:20 +0000
x-originating-ip: [137.136.248.6]

Hi Mark,

The router doesn’t need to implement DHCPv6 server; it can implement DHCPv6
relay, or it can not implement DHCPv6 at all and it will continue to work the way it
always has.

Your argument about  having to update router firmware when a new DHCPv6
option is specified is no different than the case when a new IPv6 ND option is
specified – both are applications, and updates to either would need to be
accommodated. With this proposal, we get a unified stateless/stateful service
that can natively handle all IPv6 autoconfiguration services now and into the
future.

Thanks - Fred