Re: Node Requirements: Elevating DHCPv6 from MAY to SHOULD

"Timothy E. Enos" <timbeck04@verizon.net> Fri, 13 May 2011 16:28 UTC

From: "Timothy E. Enos" <timbeck04@verizon.net>
To: Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: Node Requirements: Elevating DHCPv6 from MAY to SHOULD
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 12:28:28 -0400
Cc: ipv6@ietf.org

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for posting this.

IMO, a SHOULD is not required in a SOHO environment (which is arguably not a
corner case for deployment). MAY works.

Just as some environments may require the use of DHCPv6, some environments
may not.

For those that require use of DHCPv6, they MAY use it.

I think at least in the SOHO context, it's really the local administrative
policies (not hard and fast technical factors) that determine the (lack of)
need for DHCPv6.

All the above said, my personal opinion is that DHCPv6 does not need to
elevated to SHOULD from MAY for the node requirements spec. If the group
decides to the contrary I can certainly accept that.

My $0.02,

Tim
Ps 127:3-5