Re: [ire] Variant Domain Names

Andrew Sullivan <ajs@anvilwalrusden.com> Mon, 08 April 2013 16:49 UTC

Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2013 12:49:04 -0400
From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs@anvilwalrusden.com>
To: ire@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [ire] Variant Domain Names

I have no idea how those terms got adopted, but I'd like to point out
the distinctions that were made by the variant issues project/IDN TLD
project:

Delegated: actually in a zone with an SOA and parent NS RRset.

Activated: in the DNS somehow.  (Delegated is a species of activated.
For instance, a DNAME would be activated but not delegated.)

Allocated: someone has administrative control over the name, but it is
not activated.  For instance, any domain on Hold in EPP would be
allocated.

Blocked: nobody is allowed to register the name.  For instance, in
.com nobody may register the label example (so example.com is
blocked).

I think these distinctions are all extremely useful.