RE: Keywords, direct navigation, and search layer 2 (was: RE: "so -called" keyword and layer 3)

Nicolas Popp <nico@realnames.com> Tue, 11 December 2001 05:37 UTC

Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 21:33:46 -0800
From: Nicolas Popp <nico@realnames.com>
Subject: RE: Keywords, direct navigation, and search layer 2 (was: RE: "so -called" keyword and layer 3)
To: 'James Seng/Personal' <jseng@pobox.org.sg>, Yves Arrouye <yves@realnames.com>, 'Michael Mealling' <michael@neonym.net>
Cc: ietf-irnss@lists.elistx.com

The bottom line is that today, the URI for a mobile internet site is usually
very different than the one for the fixed internet (e.g. United Airlines
uses http://www.united.com/ for Web and http://www.ua2go.com/ for WAP).

As you can see from this example, even if a layer 2 service was to return a
list of URIs (either because the service-type has not be chosen as a layer 2
facet or because the set of permissible values are so coarse that the layer
2 service only gets service-type="browsing" in the query), it is not clear
how a client would be able to distinguish between the two (just by looking
at the URI) to assess which one is which.

As Yves pointed out, resolving the name-string + facets to the most
appropriate URI for the device is a valuable service and we would like to
make it part of the requirements.

-Nico

ps: It should not be a surprise that many Keyword systems implementation
(e.g. I know that Netpia, RealNames...) already offer that type of service
in a commercial form.