Re: [irs-discuss] IRS Problem Statement Posted

Nitin Bahadur <nitinb@juniper.net> Mon, 30 July 2012 22:33 UTC

From: Nitin Bahadur <nitinb@juniper.net>
To: James Kempf <james.kempf@ericsson.com>, Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@juniper.net>, "irs-discuss@ietf.org" <irs-discuss@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 15:33:06 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [irs-discuss] IRS Problem Statement Posted

Hi James,

This is not about splitting control plane and forwarding plane. It is about exposing network intelligence in the network elements to an external controller.
And it is about allowing an external controller to use that information for enabling network-aware apps. And it is about allowing apps to influence the
network element's RIB (not the FIB directly).

Streaming is essential to allow for operations at scale...and avoid a request/response gated mechanism.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
Nitin