[irs-discuss] 答复: Use Cases Draft First Cut

Mach Chen <mach.chen@huawei.com> Thu, 20 September 2012 09:33 UTC

From: Mach Chen <mach.chen@huawei.com>
To: Russ White <russw@riw.us>, "irs-discuss@ietf.org" <irs-discuss@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 09:30:47 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.111.96.190]
Subject: [irs-discuss] 答复: Use Cases Draft First Cut

Hi Authors,

I just read your draft, here are my comments:

1. For each use case, there list a set of capabilities and requirements, but several of them are the same and repeat in each use case, IMHO, it may be better to put all requirements and capabilities into a separate sections and may be split into the requirement draft in the future.

2. Optimized Exit Control,
"Summary of IRS Capabilities and Interactions:"
Besides the listed capabilities, IMHO, there should be the capability to monitor the status, bandwidth of specific interfaces, hence to help the controller makes the decision. In addition , from the scalability and flexibility point of view, there should support sub-pub capability, the controller subscribe to and only receive some of the events, entries, interfaces, the agent also only need to send the subscribed information of the controller.

3. Within Data Center Routing
It seems not nature to conclude that IRS is needed and useful from the usage of BGP in datacenter, read through the sections, it gives me the feeling that it actually proposes centralized routing. It requires to get/inject information from/into specific routing protocols to control the routing. Since the IRS assumed to have the capability to install routes directly into the rib, why we need to inject information to the routing protocol to implicitly control the routing? It cannot guarantee that injected routes finally work, because the routes have to compete with the routes from other protocols.

4. Central membership computation for MPLS based VPNs
Seems that it proposes to replace MP-BGP with IRS, if so, besides the VPN routes distribution, the controller also need to maintain and allocate labels for each private route; in addition, there also needs some mechanisms for tunnel setup. So, besides the listed capabilities, there IRS need to support more capabilities.

Best regards,
Mach