Re: [irs-discuss] [alto] About ALTO, BGP-LS, IRS

Greg Bernstein <gregb@grotto-networking.com> Thu, 09 August 2012 15:47 UTC

Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 08:47:09 -0700
From: Greg Bernstein <gregb@grotto-networking.com>
To: Alia Atlas <akatlas@gmail.com>
Cc: idr@ietf.org, Volker Hilt <volker.hilt@bell-labs.com>, irs-discuss@ietf.org, James Kempf <james.kempf@ericsson.com>, IETF ALTO <alto@ietf.org>, "Y. Richard Yang" <yry@cs.yale.edu>
Subject: Re: [irs-discuss] [alto] About ALTO, BGP-LS, IRS

Some questions and comments on IRS, IDR, and ALTO...

Would IRS apply to GMPLS controlled boxes such as TDM (G.709, SDH) or
WDM (WSON) network elements?
Setting state in a GMPLS controlled box can be rather trivial, i.e.,
just setting up a cross connect. The penalties for screwing up the state
in a WDM box are rather terrible... Would IRS want state for all the
LSP's traversing a box?

I'm a infrastructure plumber and trying to get folks to use the nifty
optical control plane more. In GMPLS we have technology specific data
models (SDH, G.709, WSON) that are fairly independent of specific
routing protocols (OSPF, IS-IS) so these can help with the modeling
aspect of IRS.  However, in the early days of GMPLS folks thought
everything should be done in the same IGP instance, later the OSPF folks
decided multiple instances were better since the service impacts of
routing protocols is much different for circuit switched technologies
than IP.

The model we are interested for in large-bandwidth use-cases in ALTO
tries to abstract away as many layers as possible.  For example, suppose
that the use-case is to set up a large IP pipe between mulitple data
centers.  We could show an abstracted graph that helps guide paths
choices via costs and bandwidth constraints.  The actual implementation
technology could be IP-MPLS-G.709-MPLS-IP  or
IP-OpenFlow-WSON-OpenFlow-IP  (here I just mean a simple OpenFlow
controlled Ethernet switch that that can feed into our optical "express
lane").
In other cases the data centers might want some special ethernet
connectivity over optical pipes (a different type of service).

When I think of an IDR and sharing information between ASs then one may
want to (or need to) keep (sub-IP) layer specific for compatibility,
i.e., connecting the pipes between domains and adapting the higher layer
protocols back out.  It's useful to look at publicly available service
maps for examples, I like Level3's maps
(http://maps.level3.com/default/#.UCFpjJYu9rh) --compare wavelength
services to other services -- and CenturyLink
(http://www.centurylink-business.com/demos/network-maps.html) -- note
how wavelength service availability is limited compared to other
services (our big pipe networks are generally simpler than other service
networks) --.

It seems what BGP-LS would deliver to an ALTO server to digest and serve
up in abstracted form could be very different from what might be shared
between ASes.

Cheers
Greg