Re: [irs-discuss] Suggestions for IRS Way Forward

James Kempf <james.kempf@ericsson.com> Thu, 02 August 2012 23:53 UTC

From: James Kempf <james.kempf@ericsson.com>
To: Susan Hares <susan.hares@huawei.com>, "robert@raszuk.net" <robert@raszuk.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 19:53:17 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "irs-discuss@ietf.org" <irs-discuss@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [irs-discuss] Suggestions for IRS Way Forward

I'll have to take a look at draft-grendler, I am not familiar with it.

The particular use cases I'm interested in are NMS and OpenFlow controller type applications where some centralized entity wants information on the topology for managing the elements in a way that allows policies to be expressed over the network as a whole and translated into specific element management polices by the controller/NMS system. The topology data base must be populated somehow, obviously, but I assume that would be part of the work (perhaps draft-grendler describes this). The physical topology won't be exported outside an operator's domain since managing the physical infrastructure is under the purview of the operator. If the topology database supports expressing virtual topologies (which I believe it should) the operator could expose virtual topologies to the customers of the virtual networks, and allow them the ability to manage their virtual slices.

Make sense?

			jak