Re: [irs-discuss] IRS Problem Statement Posted

Susan Hares <susan.hares@huawei.com> Wed, 01 August 2012 18:05 UTC

From: Susan Hares <susan.hares@huawei.com>
To: Alia Atlas <akatlas@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 18:03:22 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.212.245.173]
Cc: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@juniper.net>, Nitin Bahadur <nitinb@juniper.net>, James Kempf <james.kempf@ericsson.com>, "irs-discuss@ietf.org" <irs-discuss@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [irs-discuss] IRS Problem Statement Posted

Alia:

+1 on abstraction + filters (abstract/detail) IRS fits at the routing control.

The real question about translation is what the translation is doing.  Is it translating one thing to another at the same layer of abstraction (e.g., Spanish/English, Ascii/ebcdic) or is it doing abstraction/detail change.

I define translation as the same layer of abstraction.  Some people suggest translation = abstract/detailing.  We first need a common way to talk about the difference.

Sue

By the way --- I'm thrilled about the pace of the discussion.