Re: [irs-discuss] [Idr] [alto] About ALTO, BGP-LS, IRS

Hannes Gredler <hannes@juniper.net> Thu, 09 August 2012 15:59 UTC

Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 17:57:45 +0200
From: Hannes Gredler <hannes@juniper.net>
To: Greg Bernstein <gregb@grotto-networking.com>
Cc: idr@ietf.org, Volker Hilt <volker.hilt@bell-labs.com>, irs-discuss@ietf.org, James Kempf <james.kempf@ericsson.com>, IETF ALTO <alto@ietf.org>, Alia Atlas <akatlas@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [irs-discuss] [Idr] [alto] About ALTO, BGP-LS, IRS

hi greg,

see comments inline prefixed by HG>

On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 08:47:09AM -0700, Greg Bernstein wrote:
| Some questions and comments on IRS, IDR, and ALTO...
|
| Would IRS apply to GMPLS controlled boxes such as TDM (G.709, SDH) or WDM
| (WSON) network elements?
| Setting state in a GMPLS controlled box can be rather trivial, i.e., just
| setting up a cross connect. The penalties for screwing up the state in a WDM
| box are rather terrible... Would IRS want state for all the LSP's traversing a
| box?
|
| I'm a infrastructure plumber and trying to get folks to use the nifty optical
| control plane more. In GMPLS we have technology specific data models (SDH,
| G.709, WSON) that are fairly independent of specific routing protocols (OSPF,
| IS-IS) so these can help with the modeling aspect of IRS.  However, in the
| early days of GMPLS folks thought everything should be done in the same IGP
| instance, later the OSPF folks decided multiple instances were better since the
| service impacts of routing protocols is much different for circuit switched
| technologies than IP.
|
| The model we are interested for in large-bandwidth use-cases in ALTO tries to
| abstract away as many layers as possible.  For example, suppose that the use-
| case is to set up a large IP pipe between mulitple data centers.  We could show
| an abstracted graph that helps guide paths choices via costs and bandwidth
| constraints.  The actual implementation technology could be IP-MPLS-G.709-MPLS-
| IP  or IP-OpenFlow-WSON-OpenFlow-IP  (here I just mean a simple OpenFlow
| controlled Ethernet switch that that can feed into our optical "express lane").
|
| In other cases the data centers might want some special ethernet connectivity
| over optical pipes (a different type of service).
|
| When I think of an IDR and sharing information between ASs then one may want to
| (or need to) keep (sub-IP) layer specific for compatibility, i.e., connecting
| the pipes between domains and adapting the higher layer protocols back out.
| It's useful to look at publicly available service maps for examples, I like
| Level3's maps (http://maps.level3.com/default/#.UCFpjJYu9rh) --compare
| wavelength services to other services -- and CenturyLink (http://
| www.centurylink-business.com/demos/network-maps.html) -- note how wavelength
| service availability is limited compared to other services (our big pipe
| networks are generally simpler than other service networks) --.
|
| It seems what BGP-LS would deliver to an ALTO server to digest and serve up in
| abstracted form could be very different from what might be shared between
| ASes.

HG> BGP-LS feeding an L3 routing topology into an ALTO server is one particular
application of the protocol. as you may have noticed the encoding of the link entries
in BGP-LS is a superset of all IGP extensions most notably including the MI
(multiple instance) drafts. as such one could carry higher or lower-layer
graphs (e.g. graphs of application clusters / graphs of DWDM wavelengths).
sicne you are concerened about optical gear feel free to send text on the
GMPLS link attributes that you would like to have supported.