Re: [irs-discuss] IRS comments

Lin Han <Lin.Han@huawei.com> Wed, 08 August 2012 23:58 UTC

From: Lin Han <Lin.Han@huawei.com>
To: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@juniper.net>, Gert Grammel <ggrammel@juniper.net>, Lenny Giuliano <lenny@juniper.net>, Alia Atlas <akatlas@juniper.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 23:56:10 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.212.245.79]
Cc: "irs-discuss@ietf.org" <irs-discuss@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [irs-discuss] IRS comments

Hi, Tom,

I got the slide after digging tons of threads.
I agree that we should have a tech talk about what is the difference of IRS and SDN/OF. This will make the frame work more convincing.
For example, after looking at the picture of Alias slide page 5, It cannot stop me to think that IRS protocol does similar things as north bound API, or OF, depending on what is the format of table we are going to use.
This frame work gave me a impression that we assume that we don't want to simplify router architecture (for example, keep routing protocol running on router; IRS is just an extra new component), then what we can provide the same thing (programming-ability) like SDN. Is this the best solution?

Thanks
Lin