Re: [irs-discuss] About ALTO Vs. BGP-LS

"Y. Richard Yang" <yry@cs.yale.edu> Fri, 03 August 2012 18:04 UTC

Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2012 11:03:57 -0700
From: "Y. Richard Yang" <yry@cs.yale.edu>
To: stefano previdi <sprevidi@cisco.com>
Cc: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@juniper.net>, James Kempf <james.kempf@ericsson.com>, IETF ALTO <alto@ietf.org>, robert@raszuk.net, irs-discuss@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [irs-discuss] About ALTO Vs. BGP-LS

Hi Stefano,

Good post! I added the ALTO mailing list, given the relevance. I hope
that this is OK cross posting.

First, a few comments on ALTO:

View granularity:

- ALTO currently defines two abstract network topology data structures:
Network Map and Cost Map(s). More link-state oriented maps (graphs),
with aggregations and transformations, can be added efficiently to ALTO.
Some initial efforts are already on the way (e.g., see the graph
representation proposal at page 9:
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/84/slides/slides-84-alto-1.pdf). Hence,
I see a natural next-step is for ALTO to provide a link-state view to
external entities.

- It is a good comment on the level of details that ALTO should
delivery. This is a good question for the ALTO working group and the
community to discuss. I feel that ALTO should provide multi-levels of
granularity of views, and we should discuss in the working group.

Pull vs push delivery mechanism:

- There are more discussions on adding the incremental update in ALTO.
Multiple mechanisms have been discussed. I feel that it is the right
direction for ALTO.

Now let me understand the deployment model of BGP-LS. Your explanation
on the issues of acquiring routing state is excellent. Let me start by
understanding more details on the deployment model of BGP-LS inside a
network:

- A set N_igp of BGP-LS instances are deployed to collect IGP info. You
need multiple instances because IGP needs direct connectivity
(adjacency). Each instance here receives (potentially multiple) IGP
updates and streams (relays) to an another (remote) entity, which I
assume is a master BGP-LS instance. So each of these N_igp instances is
IGP-in and BGP-LS out. This appears to be shown in Figure 1 of
draft-gredler-idr-ls-distribution.

- A set N_egp of BGP-LS instances are deployed to collect BGP feeds. You
also may need multiple instances because the network does not want to
see aggregated states but raw states. These instances will feed to the
master BGP-LS as well.

- The master BGP-LS aggregates the multiple BGP-LS ins (and maybe some
direct IGP/EGP ins) and pushes (after policy) to other BGP-LS peers to
use: for example, an ALTO Server transforms/aggregates the feed to
generate ALTO views (maps and graphs), and an PCE uses the feed to
maintain its TED. One could even imagine that ALTO builds a detailed TED
and feeds to PCE, but this beyond the scope of this discussion. The
master BGP-LS is BGP-LS in and BGP-LS out. It is also possible that the
master BGP-LS does not push to any other entities and simply maintains
an internal DB for others to query.

Do I understand it correctly?

Now, we can take a look at more specifics of BGP-LS.

A first perspective is the semantics of the content. If the objective is
to solve the aforementioned deployment issue, then an alternative
solution is to introduce a simple LS update tunneling protocol, where a
link-state proxy forwards LS messages to a collector. The current design
of BGP-LS starts with such a feeling (i.e., an NLRI starts with the
Protocol ID, which indicates it is from IS-IS level 1 IS-IS level 2,
OSPF, etc).  However, the protocol appears to (try to) go beyond simple
tunneling and introduces a common LS schema, by converting/filtering
individual IGP LS messages to some common format. I feel that it can be
helpful to first specify the schema (LS data model) instead of the
specific encoding. For example, OSPF specifies LS Age, and this is
filtered. (Please correct me if I missed it). On the other hand, one can
think that some Age info can be helpful for one to understand the
"freshness" of the LS. A problem studied in database is heterogeneous
databases, to merge multiple data sources (IS-IS, OSPF, etc) to a single
schema, and there can be many problems. If there is such a study, please
do share a pointer.

A second perspective is using BGP as the transport. What key features
from BGP do we really need (yes, weak-typed TLV encoding offers a lot of
flexibility)? What features of BGP do we not need (e.g., BGP is a
routing protocol and hence builds in features to handle convergence such
as dampening)? What may be missing (e.g., a capability of pull or
filtering of push). I feel that these issues should be discussed. If
they have already been discussed, please do share a pointer, as I am
definitely a new comer.

Thanks!

Richard