[IRTF-Announce] Quantum Internet Research Group (qirg) RG Virtual Meeting: 2022-09-07

IESG Secretary <iesg-secretary@ietf.org> Mon, 08 August 2022 13:48 UTC

From: IESG Secretary <iesg-secretary@ietf.org>
To: IETF-Announce <ietf-announce@ietf.org>, IRTF-Announce <irtf-announce@irtf.org>
Cc: qirg@irtf.org
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2022 06:48:35 -0700
Subject: [IRTF-Announce] Quantum Internet Research Group (qirg) RG Virtual Meeting: 2022-09-07

The Quantum Internet Research Group (qirg) RG will hold
a virtual interim meeting on 2022-09-07 from 12:00 to 13:00 UTC.

Agenda:
**Title**

Packet Switching in Quantum Networks: A Path to Quantum Internet

**Abstract**:

Large-scale quantum networks with thousands of nodes require scalable network protocols and physical hardware to realize. In this presentation, we present our work on packet switching as a new paradigm for quantum data transmission in both future and near-term quantum networks. We propose a classical-quantum data frame structure and explore methods of frame generation and processing. Further, we present our conceptual designs for a quantum reconfigurable optical add-drop multiplexer to realize the proposed transmission scheme. Packet switching allows for a universal design for a next generation Internet where classical and quantum data share the same network protocols and infrastructure. In this new quantum networking paradigm, entanglement distribution, as with quantum key distribution, is an application built on top of the quantum network rather than as a network designed especially for those purposes. For analysis of the network model, we simulate the feasibility of quantum packet switching for some preliminary models of quantum key and entanglement distribution. Finally, we explore how our model can be integrated with other network models toward a realization of a quantum Internet.

**Speaker bio**:

Stephen DiAdamo is a research scientist at Cisco in the quantum research group led by Alireza Shabani. He did his bachelor’s of computer science at the University of Toronto and master’s of mathematics at the Technical University of Munich in Germany. He continued with his PhD in electrical engineering at the TU Munich in the group of Janis Nötzel, where he worked on developing simulations and protocols for quantum networks and developing architectures for distributed quantum computers. His current work involves architectures for future quantum networks and application development and simulations of quantum networks.

Information about remote participation:
https://meetings.conf.meetecho.com/interim/?short=8c6a5f7d-51bf-412d-8120-be1c1036f716