[IRTF-Announce] Consultation on proposals regarding planning for IETF 109

IETF Executive Director <exec-director@ietf.org> Mon, 20 July 2020 23:30 UTC

From: IETF Executive Director <exec-director@ietf.org>
To: IETF Announcement List <ietf-announce@ietf.org>
Cc: manycouches@ietf.org, irtf-announce@irtf.org
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 16:30:27 -0700
Subject: [IRTF-Announce] Consultation on proposals regarding planning for IETF 109

The IESG, IETF Administration LLC and IRTF Chair are seeking feedback on the following proposals regarding planning for IETF 109:

1. Assessment Criteria
We propose to use the same criteria [1] for assessing whether to go ahead with an in-person IETF 109 meeting or switch to an online meeting.  These criteria were previously consulted on and worked well when used for IETF 108 [2].

2. Fee structure for an online meeting
We propose to use the same fee structure in use for IETF 108 [3] if IETF 109 switches to an online meeting, including unlimited fee waivers [4].  This fee structure was previously the subject of a short consultation following a community discussion.

The criteria and fee decision will be used for the following planning timetable:

20 Jul 2020	This consultation opens.

17 Aug 2020	This consultation closes.

24 Aug 2020	Response to consultation communicated and assessment begins using the final criteria.

31 Aug 2020	Decision made and communicated on whether to switch to an online meeting and the fee structure if that happens.

07 Sep 2020	Registration opens.

14 Nov 2020	IETF 109 begins.

It should be noted that a new Working Group has been chartered, SHMOO (Stay Home Meet Only Online) that will be looking at the future of online meetings, including the assessment criteria and fee structures.  We will be following the discussions in SHMOO and will ensure that those discussions inform IETF 109 planning to the extent possible, given the short time frame.  We understand that time is short, but if the SHMOO working group has reached consensus relevant to the criteria by 24 August 2020 then that will take precedence over this consultation, and if it has reached consensus relevant to the fee structure by 31 August 2020 then that too will take precedence over this consultation, even before IETF consensus is reached.

Please send any feedback to manycouches@ietf.org so that it can be used as input by the SHMOO working group.

[1]  https://www.ietf.org/how/meetings/108/assessment-framework-person-vs-online-ietf-108-meeting/
[2]  https://www.ietf.org/blog/ietf108-online/
[3]  https://www.ietf.org/blog/ietf108-registration-fees/