[IRTF-Announce] ICCRG Report

Aaron Falk <falk@ISI.EDU> Wed, 16 August 2006 23:45 UTC

From: Aaron Falk <falk@ISI.EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 16:42:11 -0700
To: IRTF Announcements <irtf-announce@irtf.org>
Subject: [IRTF-Announce] ICCRG Report

Internet Congestion Control Research Group Report
August 2006

Accomplishments:
------------------
ICCRG has carried out a series of discussions in the past about
issues such as the definition of congestion and the next steps
to be taken. Finding agreement "on which technologies are
viable long-term solutions for the Internet", as specified in the
charter, turns out to be a difficult task (but we haven't yet given
this up).

Current work items:
--------------------
We are now working on a survey of congestion control related
RFCs (and perhaps also Internet-drafts which are WG items)
which are *not* TCP specifications. This document will complement
the TCP Roadmap of the IETF TCPM WG. The goal is to educate
the reader about congestion control related viewpoints of the IETF
as well as related mechanisms that have been specified or documented.
A developer of a new congestion control mechanism can use this
document as a source for design guidance, for learning about the
state of the art and for learning about mechanisms in the Internet
that should be taken into account by the new scheme.

Additionally, we are building a "congestion control bibliography" -
a collection of links to congestion control overviews in the ICCRG
Wiki page. This will serve as input for the document that is mentioned
under "future plans".

Future plans:
-------------
We will write a document that was originally planned as an overview
of congestion control efforts in the research community, but may
turn into something else. There seems to be agreement that classifying
existing mechanisms would be the most important aspect of such an
overview, and that the intention is not to simply provide a long list,
but to find a way to learn from the efforts of colleagues. One way
to achieve this is to sketch the spectrum of types of feedback that
can be used, from implicit to explicit, from coarse to fine granularity;
it might even be possible that such an approach would show gaps
in the spectrum that have not yet been filled, thereby making the
document more than a mere survey of the state of the art. At this
point, we only have a vague idea of this document.

Another future plan is to hold a meeting. Internally, it has been
discussed
to co-locate it with the Pfldnet workshop in February 2007, but the
group has not yet been involved in this decision because we want to
have final dates before discussing them.

http://www1.tools.ietf.org/group/irtf/trac/wiki/ICCRG