Re: [irtf-discuss] [Icn-interest] Draft ICN RG Charter

Paulo Mendes <paulo.mendes@ulusofona.pt> Wed, 25 May 2011 09:36 UTC

From: Paulo Mendes <paulo.mendes@ulusofona.pt>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 10:35:54 +0100
To: Martin Vigoureux <martin.vigoureux@alcatel-lucent.com>
Cc: "irtf-discuss@irtf.org" <irtf-discuss@irtf.org>, "icn-interest@listserv.netlab.nec.de" <icn-interest@listserv.netlab.nec.de>
Subject: Re: [irtf-discuss] [Icn-interest] Draft ICN RG Charter

Hi Martin

Just to clarify. It is clear that the charter does not say that an architecture will be standardized. It couldn't in any case - IRTF does not aim to devise standards. I was commenting on the fact that one goal described in the charter seems to be to write "...documents describing an ICN architecture", and IETF/IRTF is focus on working on protocols and not architectures. 3GPP, ITU-T are more looking at architectures, most of the time making use of IETF protocols. So, we do not want to create misunderstandings :).

Paulo

On May 24, 2011, at 1:33 PM, Martin Vigoureux wrote:

> Hello Paulo,
>
> Le 24/05/2011 13:55, Paulo Mendes a écrit :
>> Hi Borje and Dirk
>>
>> I would be careful with the word "architecture" since IETF/IRTF does not standardize architectures. Hence I would propose to use the following sentence...
>>
>> "The ICNRG will investigate components of a common protocol framework for information-centric networking, aiming to: i) identify protocols for standardization, which may or may not re; ii) support an ICN architecture with large applicability."
>>
>> ... to replace the following two sentences:
>>
>> "The ICNRG will identify key ICN architecture invariants across different specific approaches which could form the basis of a future ICN architecture."
>>
>> "The intention is that one result from this work could be a common protocol framework that can be used to identify protocols for standardization. These protocols may or may not re-use existing IETF protocols."
>
> In turn, I would be careful with the statement "IETF/IRTF does not standardize architectures" :-)
> It all depends on what one reads in "architecture".
> Note also that the charter does not say that an architecture will be standardized.
> I think the text is fine.
>
> best regards,
> martin

Paulo Mendes, Ph.D
Scientific Director for Innovation of the Research Unit in Informatics Systems and Technologies (SITI)
Coordinator of the Internet Architecture and Networking Lab (IAN Lab)
University Lusofona, Portugal
paulo.mendes@ulusofona.pt
http://siti.ulusofona.pt
Tel.: 217 515 500 Fax: 21 757 7006