Re: [irtf-discuss] Why do we need to go with 128 bits address space ?

"Chengli (Cheng Li)" <chengli13@huawei.com> Fri, 16 August 2019 03:05 UTC

From: "Chengli (Cheng Li)" <chengli13@huawei.com>
To: Brian Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, Roland Bless <roland.bless@kit.edu>
CC: "irtf-discuss@irtf.org" <irtf-discuss@irtf.org>, "6man@ietf.org" <6man@ietf.org>, IETF discussion list <ietf@ietf.org>, shyam bandyopadhyay <shyamb66@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2019 03:05:32 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.130.185.75]
Subject: Re: [irtf-discuss] Why do we need to go with 128 bits address space ?

Agree.

This topic should be discussed 25 years ago, when I was a baby, and it could be discussed 15 years ago when I was a middle school student. But it SHOULD NOT be discussed now when I am a fully grown adult.

No one will make an easy decision like yes, let’s go with 128 bits, I like the number 128, cause the last number is 8!

People made this decision under enough discussion, and many people might suggest 64 at that time, but why 128 won? What happened at that time 25 years ago is even not important. Cause we cannot change it.

From technology aspect, 64 isn’t enough for the future, and this future may be very close. We won’t like to update the entire internet again to 128 bits. Think about IPv6, more than 20 years. Also, as the development of hardware, this will not a burden.(I don’t think it is a burden even now)

From business aspect, people around the world have invested a lot of money (Zillion? ) on 128 bits IPv6 address based networking. What’s the benefit to give up this and develop a new network architecture based on 64 bit address?

From history aspect, we need a time machine.

BTW, thanks to the guys who provide cool ideas in 6Lo and 6man WG, learned a lot!

Best Regards,
Cheng