Re: [Isis-wg] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-franke-isis-over-ipv6-00.txt

Karsten Thomann <karsten_thomann@linfre.de> Sun, 05 July 2015 18:38 UTC

From: Karsten Thomann <karsten_thomann@linfre.de>
To: isis-wg@ietf.org
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2015 20:37:49 +0000
Subject: Re: [Isis-wg] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-franke-isis-over-ipv6-00.txt

Hi Christian,

some comments from my side:
I'm not sure if we really need this encapsulation, as there are not many links layers left, but you
should at least mention that it avoids some problems with switches dropping ISIS LSPs if it's
encapsulated in IPv6

In my opinion you should also add to the IANA Considereations section that the allocation of the
protocol number should be modified to something like "ISIS over IP" or only "ISIS", as it is a bit
misleading that it's currently "ISIS over IPv4"

Also there should be at least some information about the coexistence of "standard" ISIS Routers
and "ISIS over IPv6" routers. Example would be to allow only one ISIS encapsulation per interface
and ignore the other (Router running ISIS over IPv6 with adjacencies would ignore standard ISIS
PDUs and vice versa)
If you're not specifying it there arise problems with DIS routers.

Nit:
/of transmitted the PDUs/of transmitted PDUs/

Regards
Karsten Thomann