Re: [Isis-wg] Conflicting MS entries

<bruno.decraene@orange.com> Wed, 17 June 2015 14:54 UTC

From: bruno.decraene@orange.com
To: "Stefano Previdi (sprevidi)" <sprevidi@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 14:53:55 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.1]
Cc: "spring@ietf.org" <spring@ietf.org>, "isis-wg@ietf.org list" <isis-wg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Isis-wg] Conflicting MS entries

Hi Stefano,

Thanks for initiating discussion on this point.

1) I don't feel that this is a IS-IS encoding specific issue, but rather a SPRING consideration, so I'm adding spring.
Eventually this seems related to draft-filsfils-spring-segment-routing-ldp-interop

<chair hat off>

2) From a service provider standpoint, i.e. from a functional standpoint, I think what we should try to handle this as nicely as possible. Indeed, having conflicting configurations between 2 nodes may happen, and even the most clever implementation may not avoid such configuration mistake. So in such case, dropping traffic for Mapping Server SID seems a significant network wide disruption.

3) As a contributor to spring, from a protocol standpoint, this looks a priori easier than BGP error handling, so we should probably be able to do at least as good.
It seems easier since:
- the state of the speaker is not relevant as we don't need to send spring traffic or spring signaling to it.
- all receivers receive the same information which is syntaxally correct

So to have a coherent network state, it would seem sufficient to specify a behavior on the receiving side.

4) Going into more details, and referring to Stéphane analysis:
	 1) I don't really the issue. From a forwarding standpoint, looks like we can simply program multiple SIDs in the FIB.
	 2) Seems more complex to me. A priori we need to define a tie-breaker based on received MS entries. We seem to all agree that local only mapping must be disregarded/less preferred. According to you, this is the easy part, so looks good.
	3) Is already specified in the ISIS document: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-isis-segment-routing-extensions-04#section-2.4.5

So it looks like the remaining work is to define a tie-breaker.

Thanks,
Bruno