[Isis-wg] Adam Roach's Discuss on draft-ietf-isis-l2bundles-05: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> Wed, 24 May 2017 03:29 UTC

From: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
To: "The IESG" <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-isis-l2bundles@ietf.org, isis-chairs@ietf.org, hannes@gredler.at, isis-wg@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 23 May 2017 20:29:47 -0700
Subject: [Isis-wg] Adam Roach's Discuss on draft-ietf-isis-l2bundles-05: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Adam Roach has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-isis-l2bundles-05: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-isis-l2bundles/

DISCUSS:

Blocking Issue 1: I am truly concerned that the shepherd's write up
implies that there has been a failure by some authors to comply with IETF
IPR rules laid out in BCP 79. I do not believe the IETF can publish a
document under such circumstances.

Blocking Issue 2: This document is at odds with BCP 72, and is
inappropriate for publication with its current security considerations
section.

COMMENT:

If the Discuss objections I lay out can be addressed, I plan to abstain
for the many of the same reasons Mirja cites in her abstention. I find
the shepherd's write-up to contain an alarming number of red flags
indicating a lack of WG consensus and, lack of proper review by parties
who should be involved, claims that operator input has been ignored (for
a routing protocol no less), and indication that IPR disclosures have not
apparently been brought to the WG's attention.

These overarching process problems seem large enough that any comments I
may have on actual content -- such as an apparent lack of IPv6 support
(or, at least, a complete omission of IPv6 from the examples) -- would
seem like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.