Re: [Isis-wg] WG Adoption poll for draft-hegde-isis-advertising-te-protocols

<bruno.decraene@orange.com> Mon, 09 October 2017 14:25 UTC

From: bruno.decraene@orange.com
To: Christian Hopps <chopps@chopps.org>, "draft-hegde-isis-advertising-te-protocols@ietf.org" <draft-hegde-isis-advertising-te-protocols@ietf.org>
CC: "isis-chairs@ietf.org" <isis-chairs@ietf.org>, "isis-ads@ietf.org" <isis-ads@ietf.org>, "isis-wg@ietf.org" <isis-wg@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2017 14:25:10 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.6]
Subject: Re: [Isis-wg] WG Adoption poll for draft-hegde-isis-advertising-te-protocols

Hi Chris, authors, all,

I support WG adoption of this document.

This document provides explicit signaling for the support of RSVP-TE over a link and hence avoids implicit assumptions which may not be interoperable.

Please find below some comments:

1) Traffic-engineering protocol sub-TLV

I feel that a Flags field attached to links may be useful for multiple applications and usages. I would not limit the usage to TE, hence I would propose to use a more generic name. At least to avoid comment such as "you cannot use this field to advertise xx as xx is not TE"

2) Segment Routing flag

Thanks for adding section 3.2 which is definitely needed.
Although I can live with it, I'm still not convinced that we need such a SR flag.

"The Segment Routing flag is set to zero to indicate that Segment Routing is not enabled on a link."
What does "SR enabled on a link" means?
- If the goal is to signal Network Operator policy, probably the use of link color (aka administrative groups) is the right tool.  (while for RSVP-TE, this is a technical capability that a router may advertise by itself without network operator configuration)
- If the goal is to signal that MPLS is not enabled on the link (layer) then may be it should renamed as MPLS flag, and could possibly be used more broadly.
- Are there other cases? (a priori SR seems a node property rather than a link property)

- Do you make a distinction between MPLS SR and SRv6? (SRv6 capability may be line card hence link dependent)

3) uses of TE info for non-RSVP-TE usages.

" However, these traffic engineering link attributes
   have also been used by other applications, such as IP/LDP fast-
   reroute using loop-free alternates as described in [RFC7916].  In the
   future, it is likely that traffic engineering applications based on
   Segment Routing [I-D.ietf-spring-segment-routing] will also use these
   link attributes."

Could this document make it crystal clear, using normative language, that existing and future TE link attributes may be used by non RSVP-TE applications?
Otherwise, this document lose its motivation (as the presence of TE sub-TLV may be used to signal the presence of RSVP-TE)

Thanks,
Regards,
--Bruno

Thank you.