[Isis-wg] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-lamparter-isis-p2mp-00.txt

David Lamparter <equinox@diac24.net> Mon, 06 July 2015 23:43 UTC

Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2015 01:43:35 +0200
From: David Lamparter <equinox@diac24.net>
To: isis-wg@ietf.org
Subject: [Isis-wg] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-lamparter-isis-p2mp-00.txt

And Hi again, IS-IS WG list,

attached reference is an "ambitious" -00 draft that adds a
Point-to-Multipoint interface mode to IS-IS.

The IS-IS ISO spec actually has references to PtMP back from X25/CLNS,
but for that it seems CLNS was taking care of presenting the links as
individual PtP links(?)  (I admit I'm guilty of not reading the CLNS
spec.)

This draft basically extends RFC 5309 (p2p-over-lan) to more than one
P2P adjacency.  Alternatively, it can be understood to provide a PtMP
adaptation layer that isn't CLNS.
To do this in a sensible way, the concept of "pseudocircuits" (= the
individual PtP circuits that a PtMP link dissolves into) is introduced
along with a new Hello PDU type.

Our background for this is improving performance on 802.11, where
multicast is sometimes sent at 1 MBit and metrics to other systems vary
wildly.

Since this is a rather tricky change to attempt, I'm very eager to hear
your feedback.  We do have an implementation of this (though we reused
the PtP Hello PDU type - minor cosmetic issue.)

Cheers,

-David

----- Forwarded message from internet-drafts@ietf.org -----

Delivery-date: Tue, 07 Jul 2015 01:11:47 +0200