Re: [Isis-wg] [sunset4] IPv6 router IDs

Xuxiaohu <xuxiaohu@huawei.com> Sun, 04 May 2014 08:29 UTC

From: Xuxiaohu <xuxiaohu@huawei.com>
To: "George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com>
Date: Sun, 04 May 2014 08:29:04 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.111.98.134]
Cc: "ospf@ietf.org" <ospf@ietf.org>, "isis-wg@ietf.org" <isis-wg@ietf.org>, "fanpeng@chinamobile.com" <fanpeng@chinamobile.com>, "sunset4@ietf.org" <sunset4@ietf.org>, "lizhenqiang@chinamobile.com" <lizhenqiang@chinamobile.com>
Subject: Re: [Isis-wg] [sunset4] IPv6 router IDs

Hi Wes,

Thanks for pointing out these two drafts.

The motivation for these two drafts (http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-xu-isis-ipv6-router-id-00 and http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-xu-ospf-ipv6-router-id-00) is very simple: the IPv6 ISIS|OSPF capability TLV/RI-LSA which are used for advertising router capabilities can be flooded across areas, however, only a 4-octect router ID is carried in them. As a result, it’s hard for routers in one area to establish correlations between IPv6 addresses and capabilities of routers in another area. For example, assume IS-IS router A in one area has established a L3VPN session with IS-IS router B in another area over their own IPv6 addresses. When router A needs to send L3VPN traffic to router B via a MPLS-SR tunnel, router A wants to know whether router B has the ELC (http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-xu-isis-mpls-elc-00) before<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-xu-isis-mpls-elc-00)%20before> inserting an EL into the MPLS-SR packet . However, the Capability TLV originated by router B doesn’t carried an IPv6 address of its own. As a result, it’s hard for router A to know the ELC of router B.

Best regards,
Xiaohu