Re: [Isis-wg] Fingerprint generation issue-//FW: ISIS-autoconf-04 submitted //FW: New Version Notification for draft-liu-isis-auto-conf-04.txt

David Lamparter <equinox@diac24.net> Mon, 20 July 2015 08:35 UTC

Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 10:35:02 +0200
From: David Lamparter <equinox@diac24.net>
To: "Liubing (Leo)" <leo.liubing@huawei.com>
Cc: Mikael Abrahamsson <mikael.abrahamsson@t-systems.se>, "Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)" <ginsberg@cisco.com>, Martin Winter <mwinter@netdef.org>, "isis-wg@ietf.org list" <isis-wg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Isis-wg] Fingerprint generation issue-//FW: ISIS-autoconf-04 submitted //FW: New Version Notification for draft-liu-isis-auto-conf-04.txt

Bing,

I fully agree with Les that distinguishing own LSPs from possibly a
previous run vs. another active router needs more consideration.
Changing the seq# to something random (or rather, adding a random
number) should make the latter work much better.

In general, from an implementation perspective, I would appreciate if
you used more exact language.  How many are "multiple iterations"?  Are
you updating section 7.3.16.2 of ISO 10589-2002?  Does this procedure
apply for all LSPs or just fragment 0 which contains the fingerprint?

Not directly related to Les' previous comment:

Routers that have both a hardware random number generator and
persistent writable storage should probably generate and store an
additional random unique ID on first boot.  (Which I'd mention in the
draft because implementors will otherwise miss the idea.)

For section 3.3.3, I would suggest using a MAC address (lowest on
system?) as first SysID and only move to a random SysID when a collision
needs to be resolved.  I know Mikael's "vendor X shipped zillions of
devices with the same MAC" story, but the case to optimise for is the
most reasonably common one.  Devices do generally have unique MAC
addresses.  Starting with the MAC will cover 99% of scenarios, and
you're still covering the remaining 1% with the resolution algorithm.

FWIW, the network still won't work if a MAC collision persists on Layer
2.  And the isis autoconf draft doesn't say you should change the MAC
address of the interface [which in fact some hardware doesn't even
support].  So real target case here is devices that have no MAC address
because either they autogenerate a local admin [02:...] MAC or don't
have any interfaces that use EUI-48.  But if you do have a unique
persistently assigned 48-bit MAC - we should opportunistically start
with that.

Last, this is not terribly important, but I do disagree on your
assumption that "At the point when double-duplication happens, routers
should have much more entropies available."  If a common reason (e.g.
power outage) causes several routers to reboot, they can quite likely be
in very similar state for an unexpectedly long period of time.  The
result from this would be that the routers continue to do the same thing
until by some external influence they get different entropy.  This
doesn't imply a need for a different procedure, just that the procedure
may run several times until it finally settles.

-David