Re: [Isis-wg] WG adoption of draft-baker-ipv6-isis-dst-src-routing-06

David Lamparter <equinox@diac24.net> Fri, 09 December 2016 11:08 UTC

Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2016 12:03:12 +0100
From: David Lamparter <equinox@diac24.net>
To: "Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)" <ginsberg@cisco.com>
Cc: "draft-baker-ipv6-isis-dst-src-routing@ietf.org" <draft-baker-ipv6-isis-dst-src-routing@ietf.org>, "isis-wg@ietf.org" <isis-wg@ietf.org>, Christian Hopps <chopps@chopps.org>
Subject: Re: [Isis-wg] WG adoption of draft-baker-ipv6-isis-dst-src-routing-06

Les,

to give a more direct answer - yes, I think there will be devices
running IS-IS with dst-src routing.  It'll be more rare than OSPF, but
my subjective impression is that it'll still be significant.

I'm basing my subjective impression on 2 factors:

- Enterprise networks aren't always homogenous large blobs;  there's
  things like smaller branch offices that aren't integrated well and
  such.  It's reasonable to expect they might be running IS-IS as a
  "grand policy", yet run some branches on "pa-multihoming" setups.

- Choice of IS-IS vs. OSPF is for operators I know not quite related to
  target scope or size, but actually to "who started the setup".  If the
  person you hire to scale up your network likes IS-IS, they'll just
  deploy that and you're running it for the next 10 years.

  (Assuming their chosen vendor doesn't charge a larger license to
  enable IS-IS, which many unfortunately do.)

These two boil down to "dst-src is not unreasonable in a large
enterprise network" and "IS-IS is not solely a large-enterprise routing
protocol".

Apart from that, while I don't want to take this assumption, I believe
dst-src has applications outside BCP38 exit routing, e.g. in separating
voice traffic for QoS, and in pushing security differentiations /
zoning.

I still agree that dst-src setups are an order of magnitude more likely
to use OSPF, and OSPF is an order of magnitude more likely to see
dst-src deployments; but I believe there is enough dst-src IS-IS use
case to proceed here.

-David

P.S.: The more interesting question is who else will be implementing
this.  That's where I see the larger potential for this draft to die
off -- but I'd like to make that evaluation at WGLC, not adoption ;)

(And I have heard of at least two large vendors looking at the topic.)