Re: [Isis-wg] [OSPF] Comments on draft-ietf-ospf-te-link-attr-reuse-01.txt and draft-ietf-isis-te-app-01.txt

<olivier.dugeon@orange.com> Wed, 25 October 2017 16:53 UTC

To: "Acee Lindem (acee)" <acee@cisco.com>, "ospf@ietf.org" <ospf@ietf.org>, "isis-wg@ietf.org" <isis-wg@ietf.org>
From: olivier.dugeon@orange.com
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 18:53:08 +0200
Subject: Re: [Isis-wg] [OSPF] Comments on draft-ietf-ospf-te-link-attr-reuse-01.txt and draft-ietf-isis-te-app-01.txt

Acee,

First apologize for my typo error on IS-IS mailing list. I hope every body got the thread from the beginning (thanks to the OSPF & IS-IS mailing list inter redistribution).

Then, my answers in line.

Le 25/10/2017 à 13:45, Acee Lindem (acee) a écrit :
> Hi Olivier,
>
> On 10/25/17, 5:37 AM, "olivier.dugeon@orange.com"
> <olivier.dugeon@orange.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Acee,
>>
>> I agree, but I'm not referring to Unidirectional residual, available and
>> utilized bandwidth as per RFC 7471.
>>
>> My comment concerns the MaximumBandwidth, MaximumReservableBandwidth and
>> UnreservedBandwidth parameters defined in RFC 3630that are used by the
>> CSPF to compute the path. These one are not aggregate if I correctly
>> understand the proposed draft. I also don't understand why these standard
>> TE parameters are duplicate in the ISIS draft and not mention in the OSPF
>> draft. Do we go to a different behaviour between IS-IS and OSPF ?
> If read beyond the draft title, you’ll see that these reservation
> parameters are not included in draft-ietf-ospf-te-link-attr-reuse.
I read carefully the draft and it is exactly what it makes confuse me when I read carefully draft-ietf-isis-te-app-01.txt which explicitly reuse these reservation parameters and suggest to duplicate them per application. The latter is my concerns as it will potentially break the possibility to perform efficient bandwidth reservation with both RSVP-TE and SR-TE in a same network. For me, this will be certainly the main use case during the transition period when an operator will go to SR-TE from RSVP-TE. Both protocol must be manage simultaneously during a large period of time. If standard reservation parameters are duplicated, it will be a nightmare to manage efficiently bandwidth reservation without wasting bandwidth.

So, I would understand if
1) both draft will be align ?
2) in which direction i.e. with or without reservation information and
3) if reservation parameters are included, how my use case could be solved ?

>> Now, if the proposed drafts aims to used onlythese new Performance
>> Metrics without duplicate them per application, my question becomes: Why
>> a new drafts ? Why not simply implement RFC 7471 and RFC 7810 ? Up to
>> now, I know only one partial implementation of these 2 RFCs (in
>> FR-Routing Open Source project).
> With respect to OSPF, this topic was already discussed at great length on
> the OSPF list and during the IETF meetings in both Seoul and Chicago.
> Please see the OSPF list archive.
Apologize. I'm jumping on the bandwagon now.

Regards

Olivier
**

> Thanks,
> Acee
>> Regards
>>
>> Olivier
>>

>> Le 25/10/2017 à 01:25, Acee Lindem (acee) a écrit :
>>> Hi Olivier,
>>>
>>> If you read the definitions of Unidirectional residual, available, and
>>> utilized bandwidth in RFC 7471 you will note that these are all
>>> aggregate
>>> rather than application specific values. In other words, they will not
>>> vary per application.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Acee

>> Ce message et ses pieces jointes peuvent contenir des informations
>> confidentielles ou privilegiees et ne doivent donc
>> pas etre diffuses, exploites ou copies sans autorisation. Si vous avez
>> recu ce message par erreur, veuillez le signaler
>> a l'expediteur et le detruire ainsi que les pieces jointes. Les messages
>> electroniques etant susceptibles d'alteration,
>> Orange decline toute responsabilite si ce message a ete altere, deforme
>> ou falsifie. Merci.
>>
>> This message and its attachments may contain confidential or privileged
>> information that may be protected by law;
>> they should not be distributed, used or copied without authorisation.
>> If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and
>> As emails may be altered, Orange is not liable for messages that have
>> been modified, changed or falsified.
>> Thank you.

Thank you.