Re: [Isis-wg] [Bier] WGLC: draft-ietf-bier-isis-extensions-04

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Sat, 22 July 2017 13:34 UTC

Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2017 15:34:19 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: "Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)" <ginsberg@cisco.com>
Cc: Tony Przygienda <tonysietf@gmail.com>, "Hannes Gredler (hannes@gredler.at)" <hannes@gredler.at>, Greg Shepherd <gjshep@gmail.com>, "bier@ietf.org" <bier@ietf.org>, "isis-wg@ietf.org list" <isis-wg@ietf.org>, Christian Hopps <chopps@chopps.org>
Subject: Re: [Isis-wg] [Bier] WGLC: draft-ietf-bier-isis-extensions-04

Thanks Les

When searching various terms in the doc to figure out what happens
i am not sure why i missed this one.

But: IMHO, RFCs can not only be the minimum number of words to get a
running implementation. It also needs to specify what this implementation
intends to achieve. Otherwise its not possible to do a useful review:
The reviewer can to verify whether the spec will achieve what it claims
to achieve is there no definitionn of what it claims to achieve.

If i understand ISIS correctly, my reverse engineering of the intent is:

- BIER TLVs stay within single ISIS areas. BFIR and BFER must therefore be
  in the same ISIS area: There is no inter-area BIER traffic possible
  with this specification. This is also true for ISIS area 0.

- The same BIER sub-domain identifiers can be re-used
  across different ISIS areas without any current impact. If these BFR-IDs
  are non-overlapping, then this would allow in the future to create a single
  cross ISIS area BIER sub-domain by leaking TLVs for such a BIER sub-domain
  across ISIS levels. Leakage is outside the scope of this specificication.

I actually even would like to do the following:

- If BIER sub-domains are made to span multiple ISIS areas and BFR-ids assignemtns
  are made such that all BFR-ids with the same SI are in the same ISIS ara,
  then it should be in the future reasonably easy to create inter-area BIER
  not by leaking of the BIER TLV but by having BFIR MPLS unicastBIER packets
  for different SIs to an appropriate L2L1 BFIR that is part of the destination area/SI.
  (if you would use SI number that are the same as ISIS area numbers then
   you could probably do this without any new signaling. Not quite sure if
   you can today easily find L1L2 border router for another area via existing
   TLVs).

  Alas, this idea will probably be killed because of the BIER architecture
  intent not to engineer SI assignments in geographical fashions to
  minimize traffic duplication in the presence of multiple SIs.

Cheers
    Toerless