Re: re Chicago

"avri" <avri@apocalypse.org> Fri, 17 July 1998 03:59 UTC

Delivery-Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 23:59:13 -0400
From: avri <avri@apocalypse.org>
To: April Marine <amarine@globe.arc.nasa.gov>, isn-wg@nasa.gov
Subject: Re: re Chicago
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 23:47:14 -0400
Sender: owner-isn-wg@nasa.gov

>Just curious: how many people on the list think they'll be able to make
>the session at the Chicago IETF?  It's the week of 8/24, if your memory
>needs jogging.  (And if you are saying "IETF? huh?" info is at
>http://www.ietf.org/ )

I will be in Chicago, and as long as the meeting doesn't conflict with the
meetings i am sent to cover (in my case mpls and diffserv), i will attend.

This brings up something.  I assume i am not alone as an attendee in having
the isn work be a strong interest, but an avocation  and volunteer related
instead of my main profession.  Is it possible to schedule these meetings
out of the mainstream times?  For example in one of the evening/late slots
(like key signing) or during the mini meeting periods.  I am asking because
i have often wanted to attend, but been unable to due to critical time
conflicts.  And for better or for worse, i doubt that many people are able
to attend the IETF simply to attend isn.  Most of the attendees, except
perhaps for local folk (i.e invitees from local schools etc...), are
probably there for another paid purpose.

I don't think this is a bad thing, because if the isn group is to do
advocacy within the other WGs, they need to be conversant with the work done
in other groups.  The challenge is finding a way to schedule to allow this
to happen.

a.