re: ISN restart

Jodi-Ann Ito <jodi@hawaii.edu> Wed, 17 June 1998 11:41 UTC

Delivery-Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 07:41:26 -0400
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 01:31:00 -1000
From: Jodi-Ann Ito <jodi@hawaii.edu>
To: isn-wg@nasa.gov
cc: April Marine <amarine@atlas.arc.nasa.gov>
Subject: re: ISN restart
Sender: owner-isn-wg@nasa.gov

Hi,
First, I'd like to apologize for not keeping things going as I should be.
Sepi and I were both unable to attend the LA IETF and Sepi has since
stepped down as co-chair.  Let me try to recap where things currently
stand and then progress from there.  There were a couple of documents
that were in progress (a document on "common pitfalls" and how to set
up a help desk) and the ISN web site.  The common pitfalls document
was going to be  document that talked about things to look out - the
main items: "technology wasted", modem related issues, lack of technology
planning, importance of commercial support, not enough planning when
changing ISPs, and security issues. The main areas outlined for the ISN
website are: technical how-tos, things you should know, regional and
national projects (self-registration and automatic expiration) and a
resources section.  I believe that Sepi has the help desk doc info -
Sepi, could you post that to the list?

That's a very quick summary of where things stand now.  There were
several messages in response to Will's wake up call (thanks Will)
that indicated your interest in revitalizing the group.  With that
in mind, does any of the above things sound like it is worth continuing?
Also, the charter does need to be reviewed and I've appended it to the
end of this note.  Please review it and send your thoughts back to the
list.  Also, what other things would be appropriate for the ISN to
do?  Thanks.

-jodi

----- ISN Charter -----

Welcome to the Internet School Networking working group (ISN-WG)
mailing list.  This mailing list was created to foster and facilitate
communications among those interested in furthering the mission and
goals of the ISN.

The Internet School Networking Working Group is chartered to address
issues related to the connection of primary and secondary schools
worldwide to the Internet.  The key audiences include network service
providers and educational policy makers responsible for network access
and use.  The key areas of focus for this group are advocacy and
articulation.

1.  Advocacy.  The ISN Working Group will facilitate dialog between the
primary and secondary education community and the Internet engineering
community in order to identify and fulfill the needs of the primary and
secondary school community.

2.  Articulation.  Informed by the group's experience, and with input
from other IETF working groups, the ISN Working Group will articulate
solutions to the challenges a school may experience in seeking and
gaining a connection to the Internet, as well as the benefits of such a
connection.  Advantages to Internet connectivity may be articulated by
means of pointers to such services as user interfaces, directories,
organizations, and training programs, as well as to other resources.
Articulation will most often be in the form of periodic documents that
address key issues of interest to the school networking community.
Representative issues to be addressed by the group include connectivity
models, educational directories, and acceptable use policies.

Mailing list information:
     General Discussion:  isn-wg@nasa.gov