Re: Call for Judges for ThinkQuest 98

tjgsu81@mindspring.com (Tammie Jones) Tue, 07 July 1998 23:29 UTC

Delivery-Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 19:29:26 -0400
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 17:33:19 +0300
To: david@hawaii.edu, isn-wg@nasa.gov
From: tjgsu81@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: Call for Judges for ThinkQuest 98
Sender: owner-isn-wg@nasa.gov

At 5:42 PM 6/22/98, David Lassner wrote:
> [...]
>is providing scholarship awards for students and cash awards for the
>coaches and their schools. Students can win up to $25,000 in
>scholarships; teachers and coaches can win up to $5,000 with another
>$5,000 going to their school or institution.
>
>Prizes will be awarded in each of five categories and an additional
>award for the "Best of Contest".
>
>ThinkQuest is sponsored by Advanced Network and Services,
>(http://www.advanced.org) and endorsed by The GlobalSchoolnet,
>(http://www.gsn.org) and the Internet Society (http://www.isoc.org)
>
>Thinkquest has been honored with both National and International Awards,
>including, The 1996 Thomas Edison Award for "Inventing Tomorrow's
>Schools" and the 1996 "Educating Jessica's Generation" Award, the 1998
>GII Award for Education and the First Annual Digiglobe Multimedia Award
>(http://www.advanced.org/ThinkQuest/compete/com-honorsfr.html)
>

>To become involved in this important and exciting competition, The
>Internet Society is seeking individuals to serve as judges. Judging
>candidates need to have experience with and expertise in web based
>learning and subject-matter expertise in one of the following
>categories: math and science, arts and literature, sports, social
>sciences, and interdisciplinary topics.
>
>The 1998 ThinkQuest Contest closed for applications on February 28, 1998
>with over 2000 teams from all over the globe submitting proposals for
>ThinkQuest Entries. The student team members have until August 31,1998
>to submit their entries.
>
>The judging period will begin on September 7, 1998 and be completed by
>October 9, 1998. There will be two levels of judging activity during
>that time frame but judges should be prepared to review 14-18 websites
>with in a two week period. The judging process takes place via an online
>virtual judging system. You should expect to spend on the average of one
>hour on each site. Judges must have at least Netscape 3.0, Internet
>Explorer 3.0 or similar product.
>
>An honorarium will be provided.
>
>If you would be interested in participating, please complete the
>following information and send it to isoc-tq@isoc.org as soon as
>possible and no later than July 31,1998. Notification of application
>acceptance will be no later than August 7, 1998.  If you know a
>colleague who would also be interested, please forward this application
>to their attention. If you have any questions please send email to:
>ernst@isoc.org
>
>Thank you,
>Lisa Ernst
>Program Director
>Internet Society
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>Name:  Tammie D. Jones
>Institution:  Montgomery Public School System, Brewbaker Jr. High School
>
>Position/Title:  Technology Coordinator/Technology Education Teacher
>email:  tjgsu81@mindspring.com
>
>Daytime Phone:  334 262-0130  school - 334 284-8065/8008

Montgomery, Alabama  36110

>1. Describe your access to the Internet and use of the World Wide Web
>and Web browsers (a minimum of Netscape 3.0, Internet Explorer 3.0 or
>similar product is required)

Access at home and school.  Use the WWW to research lesson plans, grants,
etc. for other teachers and classroom.  Access to Netscape and Internet
Explorere 4.0

>2. Educational technology, especially kids' use of the Web and the
>Internet;

Students are given reports to research and at least one reference must come
from the Web.  Students are given "Eye on Technology" Bi-Weekly Reports.
They are encouraged to use the web as a resource for finding  new, current,
emerging, or future technologies.  Educational Technology:  Powerpoint,
Excel, Word, Works, Hyperstudio, CAD, Robotics, CNC, etc.; digital camera,
etc.  Participates in many workshops, and attended the last NSBA conference
held in Denver, CO.

>3. Web page implementation (HTML, Forms, Java, JavaScript, CGI
>programming).

Currently working on web site (Frontpage 98) for a  local cathol
educational institute where I serve as a board member and technology
leader.

>4. Subject Matter Expertise. The TQ categories are as follows. Choose
>which subject(s)
>you prefer to judge.
>
>Science & Mathematics [ x  ]
>Arts & Literature [   ]
>Social Sciences [   ]
>Interdisciplinary [ x  ]
>Sports and Health [   ]
>

>5. Describe any experience you have in judging contests (e.g. science
>fairs) or evaluating proposals.

For the past three years, I have serve as a judge for the Alabama
Educational Technology Association, both regional and state levels.

>6. Anything else you'd like to say about yourself?  I have seven years of
>teaching experience in the area of educational technology.  I have
>conducted workshops for other teachers on how technology integration.  I
>have a B.S. in Computer Information Systems.  Also, my experience includes
>more than 15 years experience in working with computers.
>GOAL:  To empower teachers and students in the use of technology as a tool
>to enhance learning!
>

>IF YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS OF PEOPLE YOU THINK WOULD BE TERRIFIC
>JUDGES, SEND YOUR SUGGESTIONS TO: isoc-tq@isoc.org or ernst@isoc.org

Tammie Jones
tjgsu81@mindspring.com
Technology Coordinator