[ipwave] Fwd: Re: easy to remember addresses and /etc/hosts and DNS

Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com> Mon, 29 April 2019 12:21 UTC

To: "its@ietf.org" <its@ietf.org>
From: Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2019 14:21:52 +0200
Subject: [ipwave] Fwd: Re: easy to remember addresses and /etc/hosts and DNS

Hi IPWAVErs,

About the IPWAVE WG Problem Statement and Use Cases draft
draft-ietf-ipwave-vehicular-networking-08

In 6MAN WG recent discussion, Kerry Lynn indicated it would be good to
consider the works of the WG "Extensions for Scalable DNS Service
Discovery (dnssd).

I know DNS-SD is already mentioned in the Problem Statement draft.

I know that Vehicle-to-Vehicle is already mentioned in that draft too.

It would be good to consider what problems arise when each car in V2V
has a DNS server and DNS-SD is to be used.

My intuition is that the discovey of DNS servers in a multi-subnet
topology like V2V requires the proper working of an IP multicast routing
protocol.  This might have some problems with V2V settings where the
cars dont have GUAs nor ULAs on the car egress OCB interface.  It might
be that DNS-SD may not work as expected on a multi-subnet V2V topology,
even though it works ok on a multi-subnet topology with Ethernets in
Enterprise.

But, it is only an intuition.  I never tried DNS-SD in practice.

Alex