[ipwave] Roman Danyliw's Abstain on draft-ietf-ipwave-vehicular-networking-30: (with COMMENT)

Roman Danyliw via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 02 November 2022 22:42 UTC

From: Roman Danyliw via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-ipwave-vehicular-networking@ietf.org, ipwave-chairs@ietf.org, its@ietf.org, Carlos Bernardos <cjbc@it.uc3m.es>, cjbc@it.uc3m.es
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2022 15:42:52 -0700
Subject: [ipwave] Roman Danyliw's Abstain on draft-ietf-ipwave-vehicular-networking-30: (with COMMENT)

Roman Danyliw has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ipwave-vehicular-networking-30: Abstain

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipwave-vehicular-networking/

COMMENT:

Thank you to Daniel Migault for the SECDIR review.

Thank you for making edits in response to my DISCUSS positions.  Despite these
changes, it is my assessment that the security and privacy properties are not
sufficiently described given the wide array of enabling technologies cited
(e.g., credit-based authorization models, blockchain based authentication and
logging, in vehicle credit card transactions).  Furthermore, the document
references architectural elements such as “legal vehicles” and “legal …
smartphones”; and threats such as “privacy breakage” without sufficient
explanation.

For the reasons above and a few noted by Rob Wilton in his ballot, I am
abstaining on this document.  The IESG DISCUSS criteria
(https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/iesg-discuss-criteria/#stand-disc)
is not applicable to my above concerns since no protocol is being described and
the guidance presented here is not intended to be implemented without
significant further design and specification.