Re: [ipwave] Intdir last call review of draft-ietf-ipwave-vehicular-networking-20

Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com> Thu, 09 September 2021 08:20 UTC

To: its@ietf.org
From: Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2021 10:20:29 +0200
Subject: Re: [ipwave] Intdir last call review of draft-ietf-ipwave-vehicular-networking-20

I am not disagreeing with the changes of the draft that PAscal proposed
and authors integrated.

Howeve, I need to make a few remarks, just for clarification.

Le 02/09/2021 à 08:49, Pascal Thubert (pthubert) a écrit :
> “
>
> RPL is primarily designed to minimize the control plane activity, that
> is the relative amount of routing protocol exchanges vs. data traffic;

We must not forget that RPL was designed in the RoLL WG; RoLL means
Routing over Low Power and Lossy Links.  RPL was pushed forward very
much by an application domain which relates to the electricity counters
at home.  We should remember that, because we discussed it extensively
at the time.  There was much frustration.  After all that discussion,
now we come back to say that actually, no, it was not so?

In that sense, it is strange to say that RPL is 'primarily' designed for
a goal (minimize control plane activity) which differs from the goals of
the RoLL WG.

This situation is very much like when we have a tool (RPL) and try to
use it for many different purposes whose scopes are different.

Cars are not low-power.  Cars have very high energy available and very
many horses as power (horse-power).

Cars do not use lossy links any more than regular WiFi is a lossy link.

Certainly, when experimenting with car networks many packets get lost,
and many errors show up.  But there are so many other causes for that to
happen, than what a protocol can deal with: the things that happen have
to do in many cases with human factors like the working conditions
(programmers are not sitted comfortably at a desk, but are uncomfortably
sit in cars with small screens small keyboards); then there are so many
intermediary layers of protocols which might fail, and also the
reporting which often fails.  These things generate a majority of events
that one might take for a 'lossy network'.

> this approach is beneficial for situations where the power and
> bandwidth are scarce (e.g., an IoT LLN where RPL is typically used
> today), but also in situations of high relative mobility between the
> nodes in the network (aka swarming, e.g., within a variable set of
> vehicles with a similar global motion, or a toon of drones).

Car networks do not need arbitrary mobility.  Their mobility patterns
are very restricted.  It is not brownian movements.

For example, cars move on ways along pre-determined paths.  There might
be convoys, and sliding lanes of cars, there might be intersections
controlled by traffic lights; human reaction (in the order of 1 or 2
seconds, or more) is what makes for dynamicity in car networks; that
time (seconds delay) is very very high compared to the latency of modern
wireless media (e.g. 802.11bd with below milli-second latencies).
Generally speaking it is  a very orderly movement.

Yes, we are impressed with the speed of cars, and imagine that for these
speeds the communication protocols might not cope with.  But one has to
consider _relative_ speeds (e.g. a car following another one is
practically stationary with respect to it), and one has to consider the
speed of the communication  medium which is the speed of light.

Think that even a launch of a rocket carrying tons of payload at 30.000
km/h vertically still sends live video we can enjoy seeing over the
Internet today.  There is no need of new protocol for that kind of
mobility, and still the dynamicity aspect (speed) is very very extreme;
it is probably the highest speeds one can achieve  on Earth.

Trying to make 'universal' protocols that work well in a a wide range of
mobility and dynamicity is a too high objective.  One can try, yes, but
does it succeed in deployment?

Alex