Re: [ipwave] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ipwave-vehicular-networking-15.txt

Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com> Tue, 07 July 2020 08:24 UTC

To: its@ietf.org
From: Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2020 10:24:28 +0200
Subject: Re: [ipwave] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ipwave-vehicular-networking-15.txt

Le 06/07/2020 à 18:59, Templin (US), Fred L a écrit :
> Paul, thanks. Also consider that a flying car that is only a few
> meters off the ground
>
> may require V2V coordination with terrestrial vehicles at ground
> level, and using the
>
> same sorts of wireless data links currently under consideration in
> the terrestrial
>
> domain (cellular, DSRC, CV2X, Elon Musk, etc.). So, I think V2V
> means any vehicle
>
> to any vehicle, whether or not at ground-level.

For communications between flying taxi and ground, I wanted to talk
about a PHY level aspect.

To let know that I am looking at how flying taxis could be made to
communicate to the ground.  One of the first steps I am confronting is
the antenna placement - it should be on the belly of the taxi
(underneath), and not as the current practice of situating an antenna
on the roof of an automobile.  This induces some new design constraints
to the frame and cockpit, but it should be workable.

My antenna provider who specializes in ITS antennas for automobiles and
similar IoT and Urban, told me they have not yet received such request
for such antennas.  They suspect the traditional 5.9GHz antennas would
work, but just need to be placed elsewhere in this car, sorry, flying car.

Why is this PHY aspect important for IP networking?

BEcause, while grounded, this flying taxi could not use this belly
antenna to talk to a eg Road Side Unit or a cellular base station.  At
that point it would need to switch to using an antenna that is rather
situated on the roof of the car.  That would amount to changing which
egress interface is it using, so a sort of handover or so.

One might even think of a sort of a gradual switch between belly and
roof, depending on the altitude at which the vehicle evolves.  So for
example at 50m altitude maybe the V2Ground traffic would be split 50-50
between roof and belly, instead of a total handover all-or-nothing for
each interface.

I guess an OMNI interface concept could qualify for such a behaviour,
because of its virtual nature.  But there would be a need to clarify the
mechanism of that virtuality.

Alex

> Fred

- V2I: UAM navigation with efficient battery charging scheduling

> UAM can communicate with TCC for its flying trajectory (i.e.,
> navigation path) via RSU:
>
> http://iotlab.skku.edu/publications/international-journal/CBDN-2019.pdf

Thanks.

> Best Regards,
>
> Paul
>
> 2020년7월7일(화) 오전12:13, Templin (US), Fred L
> <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com <mailto:Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>>님이작성:
>
> Paul, my intended meaning is that the text from the UAM document is
> intended
>
> to apply generically to all manners of vehicular communications,
> including cars,
>
> trucks, taxis, pedestrians and any other ipwave use cases that are
> considered
>
> by your document. So, the text should be phrased as generically as
> possible, and
>
> not specific to just UAM.
>
> This brings me to a point that we might want to consider. I believe
> that the
>
> ipwave approach should apply not just for traditional terrestrial
> vehicles but
>
> also for the coming influx of low-altitude urban air mobility
> scenarios such as
>
> flying cars and taxis. The Jetsons vision is close at hand, and in
> the coming
>
> decades we are certainly going to see an increasing mix of
> terrestrial and
>
> low-altitude air vehicles all sharing the same frequency spectrum
> and data
>
> communications architecture. That is why I wrote the UAM document,
> but
>
> should we consider bringing the UAM use case into ipwave?
>
> Thanks - Fred

Section 4.1. Vehicular Network Architecture

> Wireless communications needs to be considered for end systems for
> Urban Air Mobility (UAM)
>
> such as flying cars and taxis [UAM-ITS].. These UAM end systems may
> have multiple wireless
>
> transmission media interfaces (e.g., cellular, communications
> satellite (SATCOM), short-range
>
> omni-directional interfaces), which are offered by different data
> link service providers.
>
> To support not only the mobility management of the UAM end systems,
> but also the multihop
>
> and multilink communications of the UAM interfaces, the UAM end
> systems can employ an
>
> Overlay Multilink Network (OMNI) interface [OMNI-Interface] as a
> virtual Non-Broadcast
>
> Multiple Access (NBMA) connection to a serving ground domain
> infrastructure. This
>
> infrastructure can be configured over the underlying data links. The
>  OMNI interface and its
>
> link model provide a means of multilink, multihop and mobility
> coordination to the legacy
>
> IPv6 ND messaging [RFC4861] according to the NBMA principle. Thus,
> the OMNI link model
>
> can support efficient UAM internetworking services without
> additional mobility messaging,
>
> and without any modification to the IPv6 ND messaging services or
> link model.

I attach a temporary pdf file for the revision.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-ipwave-vehicular-networking-15