Re: [ipwave] Fwd: Re: [6lo] Call for feedback to draft-wachter-6lo-can-00

Alexander Wachter <alexander@wachter.cloud> Mon, 28 October 2019 12:35 UTC

To: Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com>, its@ietf.org
From: Alexander Wachter <alexander@wachter.cloud>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 13:36:16 +0100
Subject: Re: [ipwave] Fwd: Re: [6lo] Call for feedback to draft-wachter-6lo-can-00

Dear Alexandre,

On 28.10.19 13:03, Alexandre Petrescu wrote:

> Le 24/10/2019 à 16:42, Alexander Wachter a écrit :
> [...]
>>> I want to ask you whether you think that the end to end principle is
>>> a good thing for the Internet, and if yes, whether Ethernet Border
>>> Translators might have an impact on that principle.
>>
>> The Ethernet Border Translator is optional for a 6LoCAN network.
>> I designed the Border Translator out of the lack of router
>> capabilities of the Zephyr RTOS. This principle allows pushing
>> complexity towards already existing network equipment and infrastructure.
>
> Could the Border Translator, with Zephyr RTOS, have a driver for an
> 802.11-OCB card?  (preferably ath9k of Atheros).  This would make for a
> great router for cars with many QoS-enabled applications.

Technically, the border translator works on Data-Link layers with a MAC
address that is compatible with Ethernet and is capable of receiving a
range of addresses (promiscuous mode, for example). For other Border
Translators, 6LoCAN could be extended with rules, describing how to
translate addresses.
Practically, no "RAW" WiFi drivers are implemented in Zephyr RTOS so far.
There are only WiFi drivers, who are offloading the network stack, where
RAW packets cannot be forwarded.

--
Alexander Wachter, BSc

Student of Information and Computer Engineering
Graz University of Technology