Re: [ipwave] requirements for CAs for vehicular networks

Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com> Wed, 21 April 2021 17:43 UTC

To: its@ietf.org
From: Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 19:43:17 +0200
Subject: Re: [ipwave] requirements for CAs for vehicular networks

This is my list of requirements for CAs for vehicular networks:
- must be reachable on IPv6, and their website too.
- must be present built-in in open source web browsers.
- must express their requirements to vehicular networks in terms of
   capabilities of certificates.  For example, a CA may agree to sign
   only a number of certs (1000?) per vehicle, but no more.  Or might
   suggest new fields in these X.509 certs that they are ready to confirm
   (to certify).
- must sign and offer almost for free certificates for vehicular
   networks.  It's not because the car industry makes much money that a
   lot has to be wasted on artificial costs.  The way for CA to make
   money should be different than direct charging the vehicular industry.
- must contribute to make Internet better, and not seggregate the
   vehicular networks from the Internet.

And this below is our dicussion that helped me frame these requirements,
and I thank you for the discussion.

Le 20/04/2021 à 11:51, Alexandre Petrescu a écrit :
[...]

>> - Scoop@F http://www.scoop.developpement-durable.gouv.fr/
>> <http://www.scoop.developpement-durable.gouv.fr/> :

This is not reachable on IPv6.

>> which is about deploying 3000 cars + 2000 km of roads
>>

>> - InterCor https://intercor-project.eu/
>> <https://intercor-project.eu/>,

This is not reachable on IPv6.

>> - C-Roads Platform https://www.c-roads.eu/platform.html
>> <https://www.c-roads.eu/platform.html>

This is not reachable on IPv6.

>> InterCor and C-Roads are about harmonising C-ITS specifications in
>> Europe
>>

>> - INDID
>> https://www.c-roads.eu/pilots/core-members/france/Partner/project/show/indid.html
>>

>> <https://www.c-roads.eu/pilots/core-members/france/Partner/project/show/indid.html>.
>>

>> All these projects are using ETSI TS 103 097 certificates, which is a
>>  profile of 1609.2 to secure C-ITS messages:
>
> But there are also other projects funded by the EU in the same domain
> (connected automated mobility with self-driving cars) and where more
> open certificates are being used, with more open source software.
>

>> https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites/transport/files/c-its_certificate_policy_release_1.pdf

This is reachable on IPv6.

>> <https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites/transport/files/c-its_certificate_policy_release_1.pdf>
>>

>> As mentioned by Jerome, one use case of the RFC 8902 could be to sign
>>  CAM and DENM messages on facilities layer and not geonet as
>> specified in ETSI.
>
> Yes, but has that been done?  HAs someone put CAM messages on IP on a 4G
> link and signed with 1609.2 certificates?  I think not.
>
> It would be good if it worked, but it would need the CAs to know these
> certifiicate formats, and the CAs would need to be known in common
> browsers.
>
>> Yes, in projects dealing with C-ITS security
>> interoperability, we use MQTT to exchange C-ITS messages between many
>> countries to ensure continuity of service when vehicle is crossing
>> borders.
>
> Ok, good to know.
>

>> We could also use the RFC for Vehicle-To-Internet simply to upload
>> log of vehicle for example etc…
>
> Yes, but what CA would be put in the server of that log?  Would that CA
> be a self-made CA with openssl (or other open source software), or would
> it be a widely known CA like the CAs present in firefox, for example?
>
> My guess is that you assume a self-made CAs, and I agree with it for
> experimentation.
>
> But for deployment there would be a need for the existing CAs in the
> browsers to implement these 1609.2 certs.  And they are paying.  I doubt
> it could work.

>> There's a java implementation of 1609.2/103 097 here:
>> https://github.com/pvendil/c2c-common
>> <https://github.com/pvendil/c2c-common>. I already used it.

This is not reachable on IPv6.  Several people who contributed to IETF
also asked github support to put it on IPv6.  There is no answer since
some time now.

I would suggest the person who maintains that java implementation of
1609.2 to put it on another server that is reachable on IPv6.  Or
otherwise to ask too, like the others have, github.com to be on IPv6.

> Yes, but the spec is paying.  That does inspire seriousness but might
> inspire risk for the confidence.

>> expensive.  hard to access and the certificate are expensive.
>>

>> you can get certificates from
>> https://www.ghsiss.com/v2x-certificates/
>> <https://www.ghsiss.com/v2x-certificates/>

This is not reachable on IPv6.  And ISS CA (Integrated Security
Services) is not in my browser either.

In comparison, Microsec might provide certificates in bilateral
agreements that might cost less, or almost 0.  And Microsec is reachable
on IPv, and is in my browser.

There is also the Let's Encrypt CA that is reachable on IPv6.  I think
they might offer certificates free of charge too.

These kinds of CAs (Microsec and Let's Encrypt) are good candidates to
whom to propose interoperability for vehicular networks on IPv6.

There might be other such CAs?

So, the question is whether Microsec and Let's Encrypt (who are on IPv6
and offer somehow very cheap or almost free certificates), offer
compliance with RFC 8902?  If yes, is it with ITS Certificates (1609.2)
or with X.509 certificates?

Alex