Re: [ipwave] RFC8902 - TLS with ITS Certificates, EXPERIMENTAL, and the one PKI and one Internet

Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com> Thu, 15 April 2021 11:46 UTC

From: Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 07:46:18 -0400
Cc: IPWAVE WG <its@ietf.org>
To: =?utf-8?B?SsOpcsO0bWUgSMOkcnJp?= <Jerome.Haerri@eurecom.fr>, Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ipwave] RFC8902 - TLS with ITS Certificates, EXPERIMENTAL, and the one PKI and one Internet

Alex and Jérôme:

First, the IETF did not publish RFC 8902.  That went through the independent stream.

Second, this was briefed to the TLS WG and the IPWAVE WG.  The presentation to IPWAVE was at IETF 104.  The minutes say, in part:

  WW introduces TLS authentication using certificates in the format
  defined in ETSI ITS and IEEE WAVE.  The objective is to enable
  client/server authentication these certificates.  TLS WG has no
  interest, so WW proposes the work in IPWAVE WG.

The IPWAVE WG also did not have an interest in this work.  So, it it not at all surprising that the people that are using the ETSI ITS and IEEE WAVE certificates took another path.

Russ