Subject: [JMAP] Blobext: should it obsolete blob?
From: "Bron Gondwana" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2026 19:06:22 -0400
List-Id: JSON Meta Access Protocol <jmap.ietf.org>

This is identical to the last version I published.

Now that this is an adopted working group document, I have some proposed changes to discuss!

 • Make this document OBSOLETE the existing RFC9404, so move all the text from there into here.
 • Change Blob/upload to be Blob/set - since it now has update and destroy as well.

Probably other changes, but that's the big thing I think might be worthwhile for simplicity into the future.

Cheers,

Bron.

----- Original message -----
From: [email-masked]
To: Bron Gondwana <[email-masked]>
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-jmap-blobext-00.txt
Date: Monday, April 13, 2026 18:11

A new version of Internet-Draft draft-ietf-jmap-blobext-00.txt has been
successfully submitted by Bron Gondwana and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:     draft-ietf-jmap-blobext
Revision: 00
Title:    JMAP Blob Extensions
Date:     2026-04-13
Group:    jmap
Pages:    32
URL:      https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-jmap-blobext-00.txt
Status:   https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-jmap-blobext/
HTMLized: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-jmap-blobext

Abstract:

   The JMAP base protocol (RFC8620) provides the ability to upload and
   download arbitrary binary data.  This binary data is called a "blob",
   and can be used in all other JMAP extensions.

   The JMAP blob extension (RFC9404) added additional ways to create and
   access blobs by making inline method calls within a standard JMAP
   request.

   This extension adds more methods to work with blobs, including
   handling large blobs by processing them in chunks (building on
   RFC9404's blob construction support), and providing server-side blob
   conversion operations: image format conversion, archive creation and
   extraction (zip, tar, cpio), compression and decompression, and
   delta/patch operations.

The IETF Secretariat

--
  Bron Gondwana, CEO, Fastmail Pty Ltd / Fastmail US LLC
  [email-masked]