Re: [jose] POLL(s): header criticality

Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net> Thu, 07 February 2013 06:32 UTC

Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 08:32:09 +0200
From: Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: odonoghue@isoc.org
Cc: hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net, jose@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [jose] POLL(s): header criticality

Hi Karen,

thanks for running this poll.

My problem with answering your questions is the following:

The question you are raising deals with how you want to handle
extensions. While it is easy to say that all the features in
specification X must be implemented it is not even clear which
specifications you are actually referring to with question #1.

So, I am wondering how you plan to handle any extension when someone
answers question #1 with YES. I see only the following ways:

a) there is an out-of-band agreement (for a specific system, such a
federation) that defines what values need to be present, or

b) there is another higher layer specification that says what is required.

I assume that many of the OAuth folks have answered the question with
YES since they are thinking that they will just write that specification
as part of OpenID Connect.

If that's the plan I think it should be clearly articulated to avoid
raising wrong expectations of the level of interoperability this work
provides.

If there is a different plan then please let me know.

Ciao
Hannes