Re: [jose] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-jose-json-web-algorithms-33: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Fri, 14 November 2014 23:19 UTC

Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 23:18:55 +0000
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: Mike Jones <Michael.Jones@microsoft.com>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: "jose-chairs@tools.ietf.org" <jose-chairs@tools.ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-jose-json-web-algorithms@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-jose-json-web-algorithms@tools.ietf.org>, "jose@ietf.org" <jose@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [jose] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-jose-json-web-algorithms-33: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Hi Mike,

On 14/11/14 23:09, Mike Jones wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> The "oth" RSA parameter was discussed during the JOSE meeting at IETF
> 91 and several people spoke up in favor of keeping it.

So all the mail I saw said that it wasn't supported, or am I
mis-remembering? (Which is quite possible, and apologies if
so.)

> We discussed
> adding text saying that if the >2 primes case isn't supported, that
> private keys using "oth" have to be ignored.  The text that I've
> added to my editor's draft follows.  Does that work for you?

So if the above is correct, then we have a bunch of jose
implementations, but no interop for that feature, but yet
you want to keep it. Hmm.

> If the consumer of a JWK does not support private keys with more than
> two primes and it encounters a private key that includes the "oth"
> parameter, then it MUST either reject the key or ignore all the
> private key parameters other than "d".

And hence go very very slow, is that correct?

And of course RSA moduli with >2 factors are either less secure
or longer and hence slower, so not using the CRT means that it'll
be dog slow or insecure.

Why keep the feature, really?

What is the basis on which people wanted to keep it?

S.