Re: [jose] updated draft charter text incorporating AD's comments

Sean Turner <turners@ieca.com> Fri, 05 April 2013 12:29 UTC

Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2013 08:29:03 -0400
From: Sean Turner <turners@ieca.com>
To: jose@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [jose] updated draft charter text incorporating AD's comments

Hi,

We've gotten what amounts to two discusses on the charter.  I wanted to
run these by the WG in case there were any violent objections.

1. (easy one first) What does "JSON-structured integrity protection" and
"JSON-structured encryption" mean?

It was explained "JSON-structured" means that the metadata about how you
did the encryption/integrity is expressed in JSON not that the payload
itself is JSON.  I.e., the algorithm description, key identifiers, etc.
are in JSON but not necessary the payload.

I proposed:

OLD:

   specifying how to apply JSON-structured integrity
   protection to data

NEW:

   specifying a JSON structure for integrity-protected data

and the same again for encryption:

OLD:

   specifying how to apply a JSON-structured encryption to data

NEW:

   specifying a JSON structure for encrypted data

2. (hard one) Barry's been told by some App folks who are working on new
JSON-based protocols that they don't see the applicability of JOSE to
their work.

I think there is some concern that we're doing our own thing here in
security land and not consulting with others.  That's not a true
characterization based the use case we have from ALTO and XMPP, but
nonetheless this feedback worries both Barry and myself.   What I'm
going to do is prompt/prod the Apps folks to engage and say why/how it
won't work for them.  What we might also do is some education in the
appsawg; one of those here's how it works kind of presentations.  We'll
reach out, but they need to reach out too because I don't want to have
to be pinned waiting on a input that may never come.  To that end,
putting some wording in the charter earlier than the numbered bullet
about the uses cases, I think, solves this dilemma:

   The WG will strive to gather use cases to ensure the broadest
   possible applicability of the mechanism.

spt