Re: [jose] comments on draft-jones-json-web-signature and draft-jones-json-web-encryption

John Bradley <ve7jtb@ve7jtb.com> Sun, 12 February 2012 21:40 UTC

From: John Bradley <ve7jtb@ve7jtb.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 18:40:38 -0300
To: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
Cc: 'Mike Jones' <Michael.Jones@microsoft.com>, 'David McGrew' <mcgrew@cisco.com>, jose@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [jose] comments on draft-jones-json-web-signature and draft-jones-json-web-encryption

Jim,

I may be missing something.

The scenario below is using RFC6278 and pre shared EC keys to crate a master symmetric key to wrap a per message symmetric key used for generating a HMAC, or to use the master symmetric key to wrap a MAC of the message?

For EC we only included ECDSA.

The main difference is that with EC-DH-SS only the intended recipient can verify the message.  Slightly different from the ECDSA case.

Is the reason for this performance in a embedded environment?

I think there is a general question about key wrapping vs using the pre-shared or key agreement value directly.
The current specs lean towards using the values directly rather than for key wrapping.

I tend to prefer key wrapping for security,  but that depends on people actually rotating keys, and it makes the minimum message size larger.

Is key agreement for integrity (signing) common?

John B.