Re: [jose] For WG DISCUSSION: #50 - "cty" (content type) should hold a media type

"Manger, James H" <James.H.Manger@team.telstra.com> Fri, 04 October 2013 02:24 UTC

From: "Manger, James H" <James.H.Manger@team.telstra.com>
To: Mike Jones <Michael.Jones@microsoft.com>, Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>, "jose@ietf.org" <jose@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2013 12:24:25 +1000
acceptlanguage: en-US, en-AU
Subject: Re: [jose] For WG DISCUSSION: #50 - "cty" (content type) should hold a media type

“if the major type is “application” omit the “application/” prefix” is an even simpler rule ;-)

Even if the spec text was “if it doesn’t have a slash in it, add application/ to the front of it” I would be tempted to implement “if it doesn’t have a slash in it (that isn’t after a semicolon), add application/ to the front of it”. That doesn’t break any correct cases. It is merely a little bit lenient in cases where the originator was slightly sloppy by checking the major type but not the parameters (perhaps a parameter was set in a different part of the originator’s code than setting the base media type). But if these slightly sloppy messages interoperate with some recipients, that pressures other recipients to be equally lenient otherwise they lose market share. Hence, I think a dirt-simple rule for originators (always omit “application/”) is a better for the spec.

--
James Manger