Re: [jose] Whether implementations must understand all JOSE header fields

"Jim Schaad" <ietf@augustcellars.com> Sun, 30 December 2012 05:59 UTC

From: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
To: 'Mike Jones' <Michael.Jones@microsoft.com>, jose@ietf.org
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 21:59:01 -0800
Subject: Re: [jose] Whether implementations must understand all JOSE header fields

I am going to go into more detail than my last message

The issue is a question of which part of the code is responsible for what
set of processing.

If a library says that an item is either encrypted or signed and it wasn't,
or it was unable to apply those transformations on request, then you have a
security problem.  If you hand the library a piece of garbage and it says
that it was not signed (or encrypted) then you do not have a security
problem, you have a different type of problem.

The same thing is true with the ZIP example you gave earlier.  Is the
application or the JW* library responsible for dealing with the question of
zipping the content?  If you say the application is responsible, then it
does not matter of the JW* code does not recognize the ZIP parameter.  If
you say the JW* library is responsible, then it does matter if the JW* code
does not recognize the ZIP parameter.  You then also have the question
should the JW* code have the "right" to apply a ZIP operation even if it was
not asked for by the application.  It is after all part of the library and
thus could be applied at any time.

The position of mandatory understanding of fields is much more justifiable
if one states that the library is responsible for enforcing everything about
the header.  This would mean that the concept of a signing time field in the
header would not make any sense.  The JW* library has no way of knowing what
the semantics of the field is going to mean to the application and thus has
no method of enforcing it.  (Does the object expire a specific amount of
time after the signing time?  Does there need to be some type of allowance
for clock skews?  Is there an interaction between a certificate if given and
the signing time as a header field?  Are there fields in the key container
that say when a key can be used and thus need to be enforced?)

If on the other hand one believes that there is a possibility that there is
auxiliary data which is not part of the content but is part of the context
in which the signature (or encryption) was applied, it is impossible for a
JW* library to be able to enforce any of this context and it must be
deferred to the application for enforcement.

To directly address your points below:

1.        We owe developers a clear description of what to do with the items
that we defined.  If an application defines another field, then it will
defined what to do with that item and not the JW* code and the application
would be expected to enforce the semantics and not the JW* code.  It does
mean that each application will have its own list of what items can appear,
however it does not mean that the JW* code cannot supply a library routine
for doing the field name checking.

2.       I am completely unable to understand why allowing a field for one
application and not for another application hurts interoperability or
enforcement of the fields.   But as I am doing this in the application, I
only have one standard that I am working with (until such a time as the
application is updated).

3.       If a profile decides that the alg field need not be present, which
is different that it's value not being understood, then that is up to the
application.  As long as the application does not make a security claim
about the content that as transmitted that is a perfectly fine thing for it
to do.  It might just be transmitted as plain unsigned, unencrypted data in
the same format as the current JW* formats.  There is a different issue
involved with the value of the alg field not being understood.  That is
something that the JW* libraries are perfectly competent to deal with and is
not the same type of extension mechanism as we are discussing here.

I completely disagree that the option is either  not viable, or is a
security problem.  I think that this is your narrow view of the world
affecting how you are evaluating the proposal that I have provided.  However
as long as you are going to stay in the camp that says there is no auxiliary
data which is not part of the content of the message, then your view is a
consistent one.  I happen to strongly disagree with that view of the world.

Jim