Re: [Json] Proposed Wording for New WG Charter

"Martin J. Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp> Thu, 20 March 2014 08:48 UTC

Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 13:01:28 +0900
From: "\"Martin J. Dürst\"" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
To: Matt Miller <mamille2@cisco.com>, IETF JSON WG <json@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Json] Proposed Wording for New WG Charter

Hello Matt, others,

On 2014/03/18 07:17, Matt Miller wrote:
> Greetings again.  We earlier asked a couple of questions to gauge what
> the new proposed WG charter ought to contain.  That feedback has been
> valuable, but has drilled into implementation specifics before a new
> charter was actually agreed on!  We have been chastised by our AD about
> this, and for good reason.  We think we already have enough input from
> the London meeting and the list over the past few days to make the
> following proposal for a new charter:
>
> ==========================
>
> Javascript Object Notation (JSON) is a lightweight, text-based,
> language-independent data interchange format. It was derived from the
> ECMAScript Programming Language Standard, and was later published in RFC
> 7159.

"was later published" sounds as if it wasn't published before RFC 7159.
I suggest to change this to "is published", which avoids such implications.

> The WG will work on an restricted profile of JSON designed to maximize
> interoperability. The work will start from draft-bray-i-json-01.

Okay.

> The WG will work on a format for a streamable sequence of JSON texts.
> The work will start from draft-williams-json-text-sequence-00.

There have been various discussions about such an idea, and various
details of it, on the WG list. However, as far as I'm aware, the
question of whether this should be part of the WG's work wasn't brought
up, and has not been discussed. I'm therefore quite surprised to see
this here, and request that it be retracted and if necessary discussed
separately before being included in a charter proposal.

As to substance, I strongly oppose the addition of this work item to the
WG charter. In my understanding, the need for such a format is marginal
at best (*), and putting it on the WG charter would tie up significant
resources that can be better used elsewhere. Standardizing such a format
would also cause needless confusion in the JSON ecosystem. (#)

Regards,    Martin.

(*) In particular in open exchange on the Internet.
(#) I can already hear questions and discussions such as "Should we use
an array or a sequence here?" and "What about sequences inside arrays?"
and so on.