Re: [Json] Moving the +json suffix registration to 4627bis

Tony Hansen <tony@att.com> Wed, 16 October 2013 19:10 UTC

Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 15:10:45 -0400
From: Tony Hansen <tony@att.com>
To: json@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Json] Moving the +json suffix registration to 4627bis

On 10/16/2013 1:24 PM, John Cowan wrote:
> I know it's late in the process, but I think we should consider replacing
> the registration of the "+json" suffix in RFC 3869 with a fuller version
> in the next draft of 4627bis.  At the moment, there are already 13 media
> types matching 'application/*+json' registered at IANA.  Most of them
> in the vendor tree, but jrd+json, json-patch+json, and ld-json are are
> the IETF tree.  Having everything relevant to JSON media types in one
> place will be convenient.

That's RFC 6839 above (and below), not RFC 3869.

Are there any actual changes in what you have below? I'm not convinced
that "having everything json in one place" is sufficient in and of
itself to warrant this.

> [...]
>    entities while not conforming to the '*/*+json' pattern.)
>
>       NOTE: Section 5.3.2 of HTTPbis [HTTPbis] does not support Accept
>       headers of the form "Accept: */*+json" and so this header MUST
>       NOT be used in this way.
>
>    JSON generic processing is not always appropriate for JSON-based
>    media types.  For example, authors of some such media types may wish
>    that the types remain entirely opaque except to applications that are
>    specifically designed to deal with that media type.  By NOT following
>    the naming convention "+json", such media types can avoid JSON-generic
>    processing.  Since generic processing will be useful in many cases,
>    however -- including in some situations that are difficult to predict
>    ahead of time -- the "+json" convention is to be preferred unless
>    there is some particularly compelling reason not to.
>
>    The registration process for specific "+json" media types is described
>    in [RFC6838].  The registrar for the IETF tree will encourage new
>    JSON-based media type registrations in the IETF tree to follow this
>    guideline.  Registrars for other trees SHOULD follow this convention in
>    order to ensure maximum interoperability of their JSON-based documents.
>    Similarly, media subtypes that do not represent JSON MIME entities
>    MUST NOT be allowed to register with a "+json" suffix.
> Then the actual registration text can come from RFC 3869 with adjustments:
>
>    The media type structured syntax suffix registration form follows.
>    See [RFC6838] for definitions of each of the registration form
>    headings.
>
>    Name:  JavaScript Object Notation (JSON)
>
>    +suffix:  +json

>    Encoding considerations:
>
>       As explained in Section 8.1, JSON is allowed to be represented
>       using UTF-8, UTF-16, or UTF-32.  When JSON is written in UTF-8,
>       JSON is 8bit compatible ([RFC2045]).  When JSON is written in
>       UTF-16 or UTF-32, JSON is binary ([RFC2045]).
>
>    Fragment identifier considerations:
>
>       The syntax and semantics of fragment identifiers specified for +json
>       SHOULD be as specified for "application/json".  (At publication of
>       this document, there is no fragment identification syntax defined
>       for "application/json".)
>
>       The syntax and semantics for fragment identifiers for a specific
>       "xxx/yyy+json" SHOULD be processed as follows:
>
>       For cases defined in +json, where the fragment identifier resolves
>       per the +json rules, then process as specified in +json.
>
>          For cases defined in +json, where the fragment identifier does
>          not resolve per the +json rules, then process as specified in
>          "xxx/yyy+json".
>
>          For cases not defined in +json, then process as specified in
>          "xxx/yyy+json".
>
>    Interoperability considerations:  n/a
>
>    Security considerations:  See Section 12
>
>    Contact:  JSON Working Group (apps-discuss@ietf.org)
>
>    Author/Change controller:
>
>       The JSON Working Group.  IESG has change control over this

IFF this were done, then jsonbis would have to add Updates: 6839 to it.
Tim, that would be an additional attribute of the <rfc> tag, as in

    <rfc updates="6839"

> Some coordination with APPSAWG will be needed to achieve this.

I'm not sure what coordination you are envisioning that would be required.

    Tony Hansen